[002] spare a thought for her broken heart

CHAPTER TWO
SPARE A THOUGHT FOR HER BROKEN HEART

CHAPTER TWO SPARE A THOUGHT FOR HER BROKEN HEART

season one, episode three

THE ONE THING CHARLOTTE has realized about apocalypse life is that it's rather boring, there's no television to watch or books to read — it's just hours and hours of sitting around pretending like life doesn't suck. Of course there's the occasional chore to do, whether that be babysitting or cooking, but the brunette teen still spends most of the day sitting around. Nobody here is really around her age, nobody who would be interested in the things she is, the closest to her age is Glenn and he's not here — beside Sophia and Carl of course but they're kids who have very different interests to her.

Going on watch with Dale is a way that she passes time, even if it's not really necessary for her to be there and she's thought about maybe volunteering to go hunting because of her ability to use the bow but Daryl has taken that responsibility. To be honest, whilst he is a little quieter and not as openly an asshole, Charlotte doesn't want to spend too much time with him. There's never been any personal issues, she's managed to avoid the Dixon wrath, but she doesn't want to cause any problems. She can hold her own with the bow but she's not so sure he'll see it that way.

"Does Charlie have to get a haircut?" Carl whines quietly, his mother currently trimming his hair so it doesn't get too long.

"No way, it took me months to grow it out this long," Charlotte smiles, shaking her head from side to side in order to show it off. Unfortunately for her, her hair has always grown rather slowly so the fact it's even this long is somewhat of a miracle.

"Baby, the more you fidget, the longer it takes. So don't, okay?" Lori speaks to her son, trying her hardest to keep his head still.

"I'm trying," Carl protests, though it's clear his effort to do so isn't that great.

"Well, try harder,"

Shane chuckles softly across from Charlotte. "If you think this is bad, wait till you start shaving, that stings. That day comes, you'll be wishing for one of your mama's haircuts,"

"Besides, at least you don't have to pay for your haircut," Charlotte interjects, shrugging her shoulders. "Last time I got one it cost me thirty dollars and all I wanted was a trim,"

"Oh that's nothing, honey. You're lucky you didn't have to get it dyed, shit's expensive," Lori laughs, using her hands to straighten Carl's head again so she can keep cutting his hair.

"I'll tell you what, you just get through this with some manly dignity and tomorrow I'll teach you something special. I will teach you to catch frogs," Shane has turned his attention back to Carl who looks at him curiously.