[008] nowhere to go

CHAPTER EIGHT
NOWHERE TO GO

CHAPTER EIGHTNOWHERE TO GO

season two, episode one

JUST LIKE THAT, the group is back to square one. No more roof over their head or a safe place to go to sleep, they've been thrown back out into the real world a lot quicker than they thought. Charlotte should've known not to grow comfortable, it never brings anything good in today's current climate — being comfortable makes you vulnerable. It's an unfortunate lesson that many have learned the hard way, she still sees Jim's sickly face and Amy's lifeless eyes.

There is even times she'll look down at her hands and see smudges of red, blood coating her skin and reminding her of the walker she'd had a close call with not too long ago.

Charlotte had opted to go in the RV with some of the others, mostly so that she could hide away in the corner for a while and gather her own thoughts. Her eyes find the spot where both Jacqui and Jim had once been, the woman fretting over the bitten man because she cared for him — she was a lovely woman, she cared for them all, and now she's gone too. The only ounce of solace Charlotte gets from what happened to Jacqui is the fact she felt no pain and it was her own choice, it wasn't ripped from her by a cruel act of nature.

The teenager can hear the quiet chatter from across the RV, Shane seemingly taking it upon himself to teach Andrea how to properly load a gun. It's so odd to her that people just have weapons lying around, back home the only time she'd ever seen one was on an officer — which would explain Rick and Shane but not everybody else. There were occasions when she was on the way to practice and would odd looks for holding her bow, she can only imagine what it's like over there right now. Charlotte's parents had never been ones for violence, each a peacemaker in their own right, it's more likely they'd run then fight.

Leaning her head back against the window, Charlotte watches the adults as they disassemble and then promptly reassemble the weapons. Shane is an expert at it, shown by his quick time, whilst Andrea seems to have no real idea about how to use the thing. A loaded gun in the hands of an inexperienced user is dangerous, any weapon really. He'd poor instructor had ended up with an arrow in his foot one day, one of the new archers unable to aim with the precision of others. The last thing she wants is a bullet lodged in her because people are using things they shouldn't.

Charlotte frowns when she hears the RV make some sort of noise, not a good one, and they come to an abrupt halt. There are a few words coming from Dale who has been driving the vehicle, the older man pushing up from his seat and rushing out the door as soon as he opens it. Glenn follows after him, Andrea and Shane moving less urgently.

Begrudgingly, Charlotte makes her way down the steps, sheath of arrows over her shoulder and bow in hand.

"Can siphon more fuel from these cars for a start," she just catches T-Dog's words as she joins the group.