[004] this is reality

CHAPTER FOUR
THIS IS REALITY

CHAPTER FOURTHIS IS REALITY

season one, episode four

THE CAMP IS STILL FAIRLY UNSETTLED after the events of earlier, Ed had returned to camp with a bloodied face and had retreated to his tent to sulk. The splatters of red on Shane's hand was enough to tell Charlotte what had happened, usually she wouldn't condone such violence but it's hard to stick up for such a horrific man. Sophia hasn't even bothered to move away from Charlotte nor her mother when she'd joined them, the last place she needs to be right now is with her 'father'.

Another problem seems to have risen amongst them as well, Jim had been doing nothing but dig holes with a shovel for hours on end. Sophia had told Carol when she spotted him, the man looking as if he'd been possessed almost with the way he just kept going. The heat should've been enough to deter his behaviour but it's as if the sun has no effect on him. It's a bit of a scary sight really, has Charlotte's heart pumping erratically as he continues to work himself to near death.

Many of the other adults have made their way up there now, trying to get him to stop or at least slow down. She can see Shane, still trying to display some form of leadership, talking to Jim and being ignored. Then she spots him tackle the man to the ground, restraining Jim and making sure the shovel has been kicked away.

This camp, so many aspects of it, has already begun to fall apart at the seams. It's never going to be perfect in some post apocalyptic world, Charlotte knows that, but the foundation they'd built at the start is beginning to crumble beneath their feet. She truly hopes they can restore it before something goes awfully wrong.

It's not until Sophia is dragged off to do school work that Charlotte finally decides to find herself something to do. She's not one to usually go off on her own, nor is she really permitted to here by the adults, but sneaking off to get some target practice in isn't necessarily a bad thing. Her arrows are top of the line, thankfully, the same ones she'd used to win a now useless competition and they won't be easy to break. The biggest problem is the overall supply of them instead, the girl doesn't haven't an unlimited amount, so if she loses a few she may be in trouble.

Charlotte goes by her tent and grabs the necessary items before retreating a little further into the trees so that she can practice. Even from where she is, she can hear some of the noise from the camp and for that reason, the brunette stops. Not too far away.

Charlotte strings up one of the arrows back and then draws it back, the cool metal of it just grazing the skin of her cheek as she takes a deep breath. Everything else around her become a complete and utter blur, she's in the zone that had helped her collect so many victories on the archery scene.

She eyes the tree for a few more moments before letting the arrow fly straight at it, the sharp, pointed end piercing the stump. A smile pulls at the girl's lips — yep, still got it.