[005] guilt of an innocent

CHAPTER FIVE
GUILT OF AN INNOCENT

CHAPTER FIVE GUILT OF AN INNOCENT

season one, episode five

IT IS SOLEMN THE FOLLOWING MORNING, Charlotte hadn't managed to get a wink of sleep. She'd spent ages scrubbing at her hands last night, desperately trying to get rid of the blood but her skin is still tinged red. What's worse is that because she'd been awake the entire night, she had to endure listening to Andrea's heartbreaking sobs from outside. The girl doesn't know how anybody managed to sleep but she's sure if they did, it was the furthest thing from peaceful.

Charlotte slowly makes her way from her tent, if people didn't know better, they would probably think she was one of the dead. The bags underneath her eyes from no sleep and her hair messily thrown in a ponytail, she looks as if she hasn't slept in a week. The concerned glances from Lori is something she notices almost immediately, the motherly instinct within the woman obviously coming out, but she doesn't want or need them — there are far bigger problems to deal with right now.

It only worsens with Jaqui's shouts. "A walker got him! A walker bit Jim!"

How much more of this do they have to take? The poor man looks panicked as Daryl rushes over and demands to see the bite, the others rushing around to grab hold of him. Daryl eventually lifts his shirt up to reveal the bite, its deep and already looks viciously infected. A horrible night topped off with an equally as terrible morning.

Charlotte shakes her head and walks through the trees, making her way down to where the water is. Sitting on the edge, she leans over and sticks her hands in, washing them once again to get rid of the leftover blood. It simply won't go, stuck to her as a cruel reminder of what she'd done the previous evening. It may not have been a person anymore but it was once, that's enough to send her mind spiraling.

She hiccups a few sobs, using the sleeve of her shirt to rub at her palm. It's as if it's permanently etched into her skin, the blood of another painting her as some sort of murderer. Charlotte just can't understand how people are so easily unaffected by stabbing something through the head, especially something that was once human.

"Charlie?"

Charlotte quickly wipes away her tears and looks up at Sophia who is standing there will her doll in her hands. Carol isn't too far behind, watching the two as well as the area just in case there is a repeat of last night. The older girl forces a smile on her face.

"Hey Soph, what are you doing out here?" Charlotte asks, Sophia moving to sit down beside her.

"I saw you leave and then, and then I heard you crying. Are you upset about Amy too? She was nice," Sophia's voice is sad, cracking the brunette's heart even more so then it was previously.

"Yeah, she was very nice. How are you holding up?"

Charlotte is the least upset about Ed being one of the victims last night, sometimes karma can be a real bitch and it bit Ed quite severely. He didn't care about his own family, he hurt his own wife and child, there wasn't a redeemable thing about him. However, that doesn't mean that Sophia might not be upset about it, sometimes people even grieve those who hurt them.