Chapter five

Pulling into the garage I shut the the door behind the hummer and quickly sent dad a message letting him know I was home safe. I don't care how comfortable I am in a place or even at home I alway keep my bras knuckles on cause you never know who could pop out and try 'n nab you. Hearing the door unlocked everyone looked at me my mom brought me into the living room to sit me down.

Sweetie please try to remain patient with me as I say this to you and go ahead and brace yourself for what I'm about to tell you. She placed her hand over mine staring right in my eyes never looking away. Honey it's Austin they found his body at the scene of the crime his throat was slit his family's been calling trying to reach you. They want to know if you'd like to come to the hospital to say your goodbyes?

Freezing I looked up to everyone and Sarah already had tears in her eyes, Austin was our childhood friend who did everything with us and the figure who always comforted us in times of need. He was honestly to good for this world always doing his best to please and be there for everyone. Feeling the sting of my eyes I ran up to my bedroom quickly changing grabbing the picture me Sarah and Austin had taken together while at Daytona beach for Summer break. Walking back down the stairs dad stopped me saying he was a good kid you take as long as you need. Sarah broke through stating I'm coming with you he was a big part of both of our life's.

It feels as if things are slowly being snatched from my life one thing at a time, I felt helpless. Crying I wrapped my arm around Sarah saying let's go then out the door we went. The whole car ride was nothing but complete silence and honestly I didn't feel to comfortable being behind the wheel cause I still had tears stinging my eyes. Sarah never let go of my hand the the remaining way to the hospital, she just stared out the passenger side window not making one whimper or sob just cut off her emotions.

Sarah no matter what we walk in on know that we have to be strong Austin wouldn't want us sitting around feeling sorry and wondering what we could have done differently. She looked up at me with soulless eyes saying your right but I can't promise that I won't cry you know I cry at the drop of a hat. I know I'm not asking that of you of course we'll mourn him and we'll feel every bit of it but we have to remember the good times! Nodding her head she turned to look back out the window.

The hospital was now right in our view me and sarah both tensed up and the air was now stele. I found us a parking space hopped out and opened Sarah's door for her. She linked her arm with mine and I could feel how stiff her body was I'm sure mine felt the same. Walking up we asked the front desk receptionist for the room number our friend was in she told us room 1333. Was a little odd for a room number but we followed the instructions on how to get to it. Now standing outside the room I felt the pain course right back through my heart and it took me a minute to find the courage to knock on the door!

Miss Taylor answered it and instantly pulled me and Sarah into a hug she whispered in ours ears "y'all meant the world to him". Sniffing I said can we see him please? Sarah was already full blown panic attack mode letting lose of her and letting miss Taylor take over I walked over to where Austin lay. Looking down at him I started to cry the machines in the background made all sorts of humms and beeps and I listened closely to the oxygen gadget that kept him breathing. I took his hand telling him "it's okay you don't have to suffer anymore we're ready when your ready you can let go knowing you was loved and that you had a full life"! I felt his fingers twitch and even though I knew it was just his nerves it still gave me a sense of false hope.

Another knock came to the door, the whole room took a pause looking to the door. It was the funeral people they came in pulled Austin's mother out into the hallway then sent in the men. Sarah was screaming at this point. "NO DONT TOUCH HIS BODY HE ISNT REALLY DEAD! DO YOU HEAR THAT HE STILL HAS A HEART BEAT PLEASE GOD NO DONT TAKE HIM DONT TAKE HIM DONT TAKE HIM IM NOT REASY TO SAY GOODBYE"! Austin mom had to come back in the room and I made my way back over to Sarah calming her down. I told her that the reason he has a heart beat is because of all the machines he was hooked up to and that she needs to say goodbye. Her body went limp in my arms so I walked her over to him, now take his hand, yup just like that and you tell him what you feel like you need to. I'll be here the whole time they won't take him away until everyone has said their goodbyes. So she did what I told her kissed his head stepping out of the way for the other family members to speak their peace.

Everyone cleared a path for the doctor to come in and unplug the machines then ushered us out into the hall so that his mother and father could have a private moment with him. We sat in the waiting room then heard the silent screech of the door opening. Hopping out of my chair I walked over to Mr. And Mrs. Taylor taking them into my arms telling them if they needed anything just to let me know. They squeezed me tight then left without another word!