The Shapeshifter

A man named Collin moved to a small, isolated town in the Northern woods, lured by its serenity and quaint charm. Rumors surrounded the village about a creature said to dwell within the surrounding forests, but Collin dismissed them as tales intended to scare children.

One evening, as twilight set in, Collin heard a soft knock on his front door. When he answered, an old woman stood there, her eyes pools of ancient wisdom. She introduced herself as Elara and warned Collin about the shapeshifter that haunted the forest. It was said to take the form of one's deepest desires or missed loved ones, luring them into its trap. Collin thanked her, albeit skeptically, and she left, her final words chilling him, "Trust no one, not even yourself."

Days turned into weeks, and every night, strange noises echoed from the forest: whispers, faint cries, and sometimes songs. Curiosity piqued, Collin decided to venture into the woods one night, carrying just a lantern. Hours seemed to blend together until he stumbled upon a clearing. To his astonishment, there stood his late wife, Lila, appearing as she did years ago.

"Lila?" Collin choked out, tears blurring his vision.

"Come closer, my love," she beckoned with a tender smile.

But then he remembered Elara's warning. With a trembling hand, he held out the lantern, casting light on Lila's face. Her eyes turned black, her smile stretching impossibly wide with rows of sharp teeth.

In a desperate dash, Collin ran back to his home, locking every door and window. He could hear it, whatever it was, shifting outside, mimicking the voices of those he loved and lost.

Days became endless nights as Collin's house seemed under constant watch. Friends from town who came to check on him would sometimes stand outside, smiling too wide, voices not quite right.

One evening, as Collin looked into the mirror, he found his own reflection grinning back with those same impossibly wide smiles, its eyes dark as the void. The last thing he remembered before everything went black was Elara's warning: "Trust no one, not even yourself."