The Woman I Murdered, Haunts Me

The world knows me as Harold Tremayne, a lawyer with an impeccable track record. But I bear a secret that's buried deep within my soul.

Years ago, a dispute over money drove me to commit an act so heinous, it still sends shivers down my spine. A woman named Elise, my business partner, had evidence against me that would've destroyed my reputation and career. Out of desperation, one stormy night, I cornered her in her own home and silenced her forever.

Thinking I had escaped the consequences, I quickly resumed my life. But a week after her death, I started to feel Elise's presence. At first, it was subtle; her perfume lingering in the air, or catching a glimpse of her silhouette in my periphery. Then, it escalated.

The phone would ring with no one on the other end, but I'd hear a faint whisper, "Justice..." Every night, my dreams were tormented by visions of her bloodied face, her cold dead eyes accusing me.

Months passed, and the manifestations grew stronger. One evening, I came home to find muddy footprints leading to my bedroom. On my bed lay the same dress Elise wore the night I killed her, soaked in water and mud. I tried to flee my home, but every hotel room or friend's place I stayed at, she would find me.

One evening, desperate for relief, I visited a medium named Mrs. Gravely. The room was dimly lit with candles, and the smell of incense filled the air. She went into a trance, and her voice altered, chilling me to the bone. "Why did you do it, Harold? Why did you take my life?"

Stammering, I pleaded with Elise, begging for forgiveness, promising to turn myself in. But she whispered, "It's too late for apologies."

That night, as I lay in bed, paralyzed with fear, she came to me. Her apparition was more real than ever, standing at the foot of my bed, her eyes hollow and haunting. "You can't escape me," she murmured. The room turned icy cold, and my vision began to blur.

I was discovered the next morning, lifeless in my room. The cause of my death remained a mystery. The police found an old photo beside me, Elise and I, with the words written in a shaky hand: "Together forever."

To this day, people claim to see two apparitions wandering the streets at night; a man, looking eternally tormented, and a woman, watching him with cold, unyielding eyes.