The Late Ride Home

Anne sighed, glancing at the dimly lit bus stop sign. It had been a long day, and the night seemed to envelope her, making the streets feel eerily quiet. An unsettling calm settled around her as she pulled her coat tighter.

A few minutes passed before an old man shuffled into the bus shelter. His eyes were cloudy, and there was something off about his grin.

"Late night, isn't it?" he whispered, his voice raspier than dried leaves.

Anne nodded, uneasy. "Yes. Just finished work."

"Be careful on these late nights," he warned. "Many things roam the streets."

She shifted nervously, her gut telling her something wasn't right. "I will. Thank you."

Time ticked by, the silence punctuated only by the distant echo of footsteps. Then, a young man in a hooded sweatshirt approached, his face hidden in the shadows. He leaned close to Anne, making her flinch. "Missed the last bus," he murmured. "Mind if I walk you home? It's safer."

Recalling the old man's words and feeling trapped, Anne hesitated but declined. "No, thank you. I'll be fine."

The young man's eyes flashed, a glint of something sinister. "As you wish," he replied cryptically.

Finally, the bus rumbled into view. As Anne climbed aboard, she noticed there was only one other passenger - a woman with long, dark hair, her face hidden by a veil.

Anne sat down, attempting to calm her racing heart. But she felt eyes on her. The woman's gaze was heavy and intense, even from behind the veil.

The bus came to a sudden stop, its lights flickering. Anne looked out, but there was no stop in sight. The driver, a shadowy figure, turned towards her. "Wrong route," he rasped.

Fear gripped Anne. The woman with the veil rose slowly, her eyes now visible, glowing a soft, unnatural blue.

"I told you," the old man's voice echoed from the darkness, "never trust anyone."

As the bus's lights dimmed, Anne's scream was drowned in the chilling silence of the night.