The Song Of The Wendigo That Hears Your Cries

'In the woods where dark trees sway,
The lonely Wendigo does lay.
Hearing cries, it draws near,
Whispers warnings filled with fear.

Seeking flesh, on lies it feeds,
Its hunger never-ending, never recedes.
From tree to house, it silently goes,
Mimicking loved ones, its deceit shows.

Lured by its trap, you may try,
But if ensnared, no time for goodbye.
Beware its call, so haunting and sly,
Or in its grasp, you shall lie.'

It was said that deep within the whispering pines of Northern Ontario, a malevolent creature lurked – the Wendigo. Legends passed down through the generations spoke of its insatiable hunger for human flesh, but what many didn't know was its unnerving ability to mimic the voices of loved ones.

In the quaint village of Elmswood, nestled against the imposing wilderness, tales of the Wendigo were recounted around campfires as cautionary tales. Parents warned their children to never stray too far into the woods, especially after sunset.

One chilly winter night, Lila and her younger brother, Jacob, were home alone. Their parents had left for the village, and with the roaring fire keeping them warm, Lila settled into reading while Jacob played with his wooden figurines.

Suddenly, a soft voice echoed from outside. "Lila...Jacob...come outside. It's Mama." The siblings froze, exchanging glances. Their mother wasn't due back for hours. With trepidation, Lila approached the window. She saw no one, but the voice continued its siren call.

Fighting the pull of the voice, Lila grabbed Jacob's hand. "We can't go outside," she whispered.

"But it sounds like Mama," Jacob protested, tears forming in his eyes.

It was then that the Wendigo's voice grew more desperate, shifting from their mother's voice to their father's and then to their departed grandmother's. Its chilling mimicry was uncanny. The siblings clung to each other as the house seemed to close in on them, the relentless call drawing nearer.

Lila remembered a protective chant her grandmother had taught her. Gathering her courage, she began chanting loudly, her voice quivering but unwavering. Jacob joined in, and together their voices grew stronger, their unity and love forming a shield against the darkness outside.

Suddenly, there was a shriek from the woods – a sound of anguish and frustration. The mimicked voices ceased, replaced by an eerie silence that settled over Elmswood.

When their parents returned, Lila and Jacob recounted the night's horrors. The village elders decided to perform a ceremony to ward off the Wendigo and keep the village safe.

From that night on, every winter, the village would gather to chant, sing, and remember. The Wendigo might listen from the darkness, but Elmswood would always drown out its insidious song with their own.