- Two -

Chapter Two
Bronwyn and the Book

Reading a book cover to cover was a hard task when it was if your brain was against you. Bronwyn did not know why she struggled so hard, nobody else in her family seemed to none of her friends did. But she would find the words hard to finish, the pages slipping away as she struggled on. But it was soon enough that she was completing the task she had set herself. Despite initially not instantly giving her the sudden feeling of self worth she had entered the task thinking would magically gift her, it did bring Bronwyn something. She finally had a thirst for knowledge, the one people had told her about. The one she had only wondered what would grab her attention to the point of wanting to understand something more. Yet it wasn't the self help she had been after.

No Bronwyn was incredibly curious in the traditional way of living for wizards and witches. For Maji. It was no secret that her family were not traditional, they were anything but. She knew not the last time they had celebrated any traditional holidays having adapted the more muggle like holidays many years ago. She knew her family came from a very long line of magic, she knew their name was detailed in the list of remaining pureblood families in the country. But that was all, she knew little else. But she knew there was a whole world out there that they were avoiding. A whole new part of the wizarding world she had the ability to unlock if only she went out to do so. Perhaps it was the possibility of finding an escape in that world which drew her in so much, maybe it was the potential to be something else. Whatever it was, it had her tightly bound. 

"The same book again Bronwyn?" Her mother's voice would startle the girl out of the concentrated zone she had been in causing a sigh to emit. 

"Yes Mum, same book slightly different page." Bronwyn responded trying to sound at least a little bit interested in maintaining the conversation with her mother. Even when her brain screamed at her else wise. She thought it would be enough for the busy woman to continue on, not interested in what she was doing like always. Yet Bronwyn watched as Molly took a seat opposite her in the main living room, wondering just why she left the sacred space of the little library. 

"The old ways, the traditional lifestyle does that interest you?" Molly gently pushed and Bronwyn was expecting a harsh hatred for the idea of her mother but was surprised to see otherwise. 

"A little bit mum." Bronwyn shrugged with her words unsure of what the expected answer would be. 

"Your grandmother would be happy to hear that. She's been hoping for one of you guys to be interested enough to visit her about it." Molly placed the idea out there, she might have been brash and a little bit blunt. But she had noticed the drastic changes in her eldest daughter, and if this was something to get the girl back to herself then it was something she was willing to try. Even if it meant going back on the things they had left behind so long ago. 

"Grandma Weasley? She didn't really seem to take much of a liking to me last time we met, was much more interested in Ginny."

"Bronwyn sweetie, you came into her house tracking mud on the back of George's back after having an impromptu wresting match in her front garden." Her mother's words were enough to remind Bronwyn just how much of herself she had lost recently, just how much she didn't know how or if she would every get back. 

"You think she would be willing?"

"Darling, anything to get you out of this house for a little while, it will be good for you. You know Harry and Hermione won't be here until the final week of the holidays. I think a change of scenery might really help you." Molly was trying to throw a branch out to her daughter, knowing the dangerous waters of their relationship were hard to cross. When she got what she expected was a smile in response she was quick to stand up again. "I'll send her an owl this evening and see what date we can do."

Bronwyn's eyes would return to the book upon her mothers departure from the room patting herself on the back for the socialisation attempt. Wondering just when her mother had started to seemingly care so much for her but still being unsure in general if this would mean anything in reality. She supposed only time would tell. And only if she too started to try to put effort into the relationships with those around her. But that one conversation with her mother had exhausted her, her body was screaming at her to go and sleep to take a nap and rest the afternoon away. That it was what she deserved, the reward she had earned for talking to her family. And she found herself giving in to this urge. Placing the bookmark she had once discarded on the side table back into the page she had been reading. Carrying the book up the steep stairs tightly held against her side Bronwyn became aware that she was developing an unhealthy attachment to the book but she did not care. She cared for little at the moment and if she needed this book as much as she needed her childhood blanket just to feel okay, then she wasn't going to stop herself from doing so. The navy handbook cover with its silver ink took its prime place upon her nightstand gently matching the blanket that covered her from head to toe. Her snores filling the void space around her as the sun which sat high in the sky shone through the blinds. She slipped into the peace of her own mind as her exhausted body allowed the weight of the nothingness to carry it away.