- FOURTEEN -

Chapter Fourteen
Midnight Memories

Bronwyn liked some of the aspects which came along with being the fifth year house prefect. She like the power trip it gave her, having some people look to her as a leader was pretty good for boosting the ego. She liked the ability it gave her to be a little late to curfew or classes. She liked the shiny badge and her name being cemented on the school wall. She liked knowing that she was the first born Weasley daughter in generations and had managed to achieve the coveted role. 

Then there was the parts she didn't like. And that was mainly the rounds after curfew. They were supposed to last all night and always happened on either Friday or Saturday night. It was done so that the professors were able to have a few days off a week. But they truly sucked. Walking around and around and around the corridors of the school in the dark usually alone trying to catch students out of bed and doing stuff they shouldn't be sucked. Bronwyn didn't consider herself a grass, she would never snitch on another student no matter how much they wronged her. And that was why she sucked at this part of the role she had been given. She had never given out detention nor docked people she had caught with house points. Something of which she was sure had made its way around the student body so they knew that she was someone they wouldn't have to overly worry about bumping into overnight. 

So if the schedule for prefect rounds had been shared throughout the student body, which it always was not that they could ever work out who was sharing it, then she knew that there would be a lot more students breaking curfew that Saturday night. Just because they knew she was on duty. But Bronwyn didn't exactly care, they could do whatever they wanted it was a weekend. As long as she didn't walk in on them in a manner which would make her just want to loudly sigh then it would be okay. She just wanted her hours of patrol to be over so she could return to the comfort of her bed. Where it would be warm, the sheets would be so much softer than her ones at home and she could get out of the scratchy uniform she was having to wear. It really made little sense to her as to why she had to patrol in her uniform, it was not like the school was large enough people didn't know who she was by now. And her uniform was so terribly itchy against her skin. She guessed it could have been from the ill fitting shirt that had once belonged to Charlie or it could have been Bill. Whatever it was it totally sucked being stuck in it for any longer than absolutely necessary and tonight was one of those nights. 

Usually, Bronwyn would spend her evening Patrols down in the kitchen with a Hot Chocolate in hand just trying to waste the night away. However, Professor McGonagall was for some reason overseeing the students out on patrol and Bronwyn knew there was no chance she would be able to get away with her usual routine. Had it been Professor Sprout or Professor Flitwick it wouldn't have mattered. But if there was one woman out there Bronwyn was more scared of, or maybe just as scared of, as her mother it was Minevra McGonagall. Her own head of house was pretty terrifying at all times. 

And that was how she found herself actually walking the corridors up and down with the only light coming from the candles lit on some of the walls. Bronwyn was not one of those who used the lumos charm whilst walking around. It wasn't due to the fact that she liked the dark or anything, but she thought it helped to avoid catching people doing whatever they were doing out of hours. If she couldn't see them, they couldn't see her problem solved. 

Or not, as she turned the next corner the hallway itself was much darker than the rest yet Bronwyn cared little for it. But she could tell someone else was down this corridor in specific. And though at first she could not exactly tell their face from the distance mixed with the lack of light from their stature and height alone it was quick to assume a small handful of students it could be. They really needed to get more taller students at the school. It was getting a little ridiculous for Bronwyn to be considered one of the tallest at just 5'10". The sudden surrounding of light brought the other corridor inhabitants face to light, quite literally. And as she looked into familiar deep chocolate eyes Bronwyn knew that a smile broke out upon her face. 

"Bronwyn."

"Blaise." Though neither made to take another step or speak another word after the recognition she could see as almost a look of relief past across his face. The hand which was not holding his wand in the air moved to hide the book of which he had clearly snuck out of the library away. Bronwyn only raised an eyebrow at him in response hoping that she didn't look too strange doing the act considering it wasn't something she would exactly say she was an expert at completing. 

"Midnight adventures to the library? That's the thing you chose to break curfew for?" Bronwyn joked and hoped that he was either going to find it funny or he could tell it was only meant to be a taunt. 

"Just hoped that I'd be caught by you." Bronwyn was not expecting Blaise's words to have such a flirty tone to them, but she couldn't deny that she didn't like the sound of them. 

"Expecting me to let you off the hook?"

"I'd go to detention if it's you running it." Blaise took a step closer to Bronwyn with this set of words and the bright rosey blush which danced its way across her cheeks was even more noticeable in the increase of light. 

"I don't think that's the most appropriate behaviour of the Heir of the Zabini household." Bronwyn tried to battle the butterflies she was starting to feel in this moment unsure of how someone she had known for such a little amount of time was causing her to feel this way. 

"Are you going to let me off then?" Blaise was a lot closer now than Bronwyn was actually prepared for him to be, she felt the heat rise to her cheeks tinting her face with a deep rose colour. She was no longer sure she could trust her voice and therefore she felt the need to retreat into herself a little. 

"Yes" She managed to squeak, watching as a smirk overtook his features, clearly very much aware of the impact of his presence upon her. She hitched a breath, a solid elongated breath in. It felt as though she was encountering a form of puppy love, just like the ones she had heard about in fairytales. She bent no moral grounds for him, heck if he wanted to sneak out he could do whatever he wanted she really didn't care. 

"Thank you pretty girl." Blaise moved on past her, continue on in the direction he had once been heading in before she had interrupted. Unknowing that she would stay fixated on every single aspect of the interaction way past her rounds that night. She would lay in her bed staring at the ceiling above wondering just how she had ended up this way.