- Four -

Chapter Four 
Best friends or nothing

Hermione had arrived at 12 Grimmauld Place a fews days prior her bouncing curls fluttering behind as she fluttered in ready to lecture Bronwyn about her lack of school work over the summer. Only for the older girl to be surprised to see that Bronwyn had actually completed her work and was willingly opening a book up for the first time probably ever. 

Bronwyn had been a little bit preemptive in regards to Hermione coming to visit, the two girls had been in a bit of a rocky friendship for a while up to this point. The pair weren't much alike when they first met and if she was being honest she couldn't really tell at what point the two even became kind of friends. Heck Bronwyn had made the other girl cry multiple times during their friendship just because she could. Yet Hermione still stuck around, she still saw something redeemable in the younger girl. And Bronwyn pondered whether it was a good thing or some sort of hero complex in the way that Hermione thought she could fix Bronwyn. Whatever it was, she was thankful to have the muggle born witch keeping her company. Hermione, it turned out, was much easier to be around than her other family members. She gave Bronwyn the space she needed to work out her own emotions and desires but also pushed her to do just small things. She had given the younger girl the upmost support upon hearing of her difficulties. Having explained that it was something she had known her cousin to have gone through at a similar time, that it was okay for her mental health to not be perfect. But that there was something Bronwyn could do about it, if she felt as though she needed it. And perhaps Bronwyn came to realise as the two bonded over different things they had barely talked about before, maybe she had found a better friend in Hermione than she thought she originally had. Without Harry, who in reality was the main glue to their group, he was the reason the two girls were around it was unusual and Bronwyn did wonder how they would do with a whole week of just the two of them.  It would turn out really well. 

But that would be over soon, because today was the day that they went to collect Harry. Today was the day Harry Potter was being escorted by the team of wizards, which frequented the dining room downstairs, from Surrey over to London. And Bronwyn wasn't sure she was ready for her best friend to be there. Harry and Bronwyn had barely repaired their friendship before heading home from the summer at the end of their fourth year. The Triwizard Tournament having torn them apart in more ways than one, and it had been hard to repair it before breaking up from school. Communication over the summer had been difficult, letters had been checked by her parents so no information was being leaked. And even when Bronwyn was in the mood to send letters to her friend, she had struggled getting the words down onto paper. And often it lead to Harrys many letters going unanswered or poorly answered to the point where she should just not have responded. And she knew this would not settle well with the boy who lived. Not in the slightest. 

Bronwyn felt for Harry, truly she did, she knew his home life over the summer was anything but nice. It was abusive at best. And she felt like there were so many options of where else he could be moved to ensure he had a better environment. But she also knew it was not something she could personally fix. But she knew her best friend, he almost expected her to do so. He had hinted time and time again that he should just come and live with her family over the holidays and not return to his muggle aunt and uncle. Yet Bronwyn, she could not bring herself to agree to it, she could not bring herself to pass this desire over to her parents. Knowing her mother would agree instantly, taking a much better liking to Harry to her some days, Bronwyn couldn't do it. She felt as thought she had to fight for her parents attention enough as it was yet alone with having the only person in existence who was known to survive the killing curse. She lived enough in his shadow at school, she couldn't do it at her home either. Call her selfish, because she knew that was what she was, but she couldn't bring herself to do any thing else. Selfish little Bronwyn.