Chapter 11 - Fulminating Bullets

The Eastern District of the Dhrantian Empire. Your typical industry hive, also known as the Ring of Steel. Seething towers surrounding the district earned it that nickname and are constantly spewing forth thick clouds of sooty smoke—the same color as steel after being burned. The air was always hazy in this district, despite this, there were no signs of pollution-related illnesses caused by inhaling the black smoke. This was due to the special Aetherite the city was laced with, which consumed the smog and pumped out clean air. This place was nothing but workshops filled with smiths working 24/7 to churn out weapons, tools, vehicles, parts for machinery, and anything else.

The Broken Anvil, a factory operated by the innovative Dwarves, is renowned for its C-Tech weapons and armor. They are commissioned by adventurers and mercenaries from around the world to upgrade or repair their gear. While The Broken Anvil's rates are quite expensive, many adventurers owe their lives to its excellent craftsmanship.

The Broken Anvil is accompanied by the grand Geyser Foundry - an immense complex driven by steam and a subterranean river. When the hot furnaces are in use, vibrant orange flashes of light linger in the sky. The dwarves there collaborate closely with the empire's research and development teams to improve their military defenses, combining their ancient wisdom with the most recent advances in science. Together, they construct automatons.

Neither of these is the location Will is heading towards. He had taken leave from Callum's home in Zyrah in a hurry. He was not up for waiting around, due to the looming dangers and because, unlike him who does not require sleep or sustenance, Liz and Callum were nearing their limits. Opting to travel alone seemed like the most feasible solution. His intended destination being the Kiln Warehouse, a place he would have never thought of revisiting.

Normally, it would take more than an hour to reach the Ring of Steel, but thanks to his Memento Mori, which he used to construct a giant skeletal bird, it only took ten minutes to arrive. Now, perched atop one of the smoke stacks, he sits atop the creature, slowly returning it back to ash as he stares down at the Kiln Warehouse, his eyes glowing more fervently than when he left.

The Kiln Warehouse, a vast brick-and-steel structure with billowing clouds of smoke emerging from its smokestacks. Unlike the other industrial sites, this building specializes in the production of decorative pieces such as furniture, glassware, and more.

Jules' voice was laced with worry as she asked, "Asche! You're not planning on diving head first into the Hell Gate, are you?"

Will doesn't answer. The fissures in his skin radiate with an intense glow as he stands up on the smoke stack. His body is enveloped by the cloud.

"Asche, you need to calm down. You're emotions are spiking."

"..."

"I'm calling for the Hell Guard—you're in no condition to—"

Will takes a Depp breath and closes his eyes. His hand touches the black spot on his neck, cutting communication, "Sorry Jules, but this is personal." He says while refocusing his gaze on the Kiln Warehouse, which looms below him like a giant beast. The smoke stacks blowing out black clouds that look like tendrils writhing around ready to grasp its prey.

He takes another deep breath, and jumps off, diving straight for a glass window.

***

Inside the Kiln Warehouse, in a room separated from the roaring furnaces, sits Cravyn. He has a gold shirt on with the sleeves rolled up, the collar is kept open revealing a series of fangs tattooed around his neck, as if he was wearing a necklace of teeth. Each one has the tip inked red to resemble blood dripping from the fangs. A black jacket is slung over his chair. He has short brown hair, and a prominent scar resembling a hole, on one cheek, as if something had tore through it. There's a slight crook to his nose, even after getting it fixed, the bend is still there.