Chapter 16

Their movements were a blur as they raced through the winding cave system, determined to catch the thief who had stolen their beloved children. The youngest sister's fluttering wings beat furiously, slicing through the stone walls as though they were made of soft jelly. Her older sibling, with her razor-sharp claws, tore into the ground, and propelled herself forward with the ferocity of a wild beast. Meanwhile, the third member of their trio, slithered effortlessly through the shadows, using the brief flashes from their prey's lightning to to guide her way. Driven by sheer desperation, they refused to let their enemy escape.

With the electricity crackling around his body, Levin soared through the winding cave network at a breakneck pace. He could feel the demonesses closing in on him. He couldn't tell how close they were, but their furious roars echoed off the walls and urged him to speed up. Lightning shot off in every direction, spearing the walls, and as if they were extensions of his body, they pulled him forward, even faster than before. Still, the blinding speed was not enough to shake them, and he could still sense their hot breath on his back. He didn't want to risk glancing over his shoulder, but when the path curved, he caught sight of their grotesque figures out of his peripheral.

They weren't just behind him, no... The three pairs of glowing eyes fixated on him with bloodthirsty intent were right next to him.

"Here goes nothing." Levin braces himself as he turns to face his pursuers. He raises his left arm, which has nearly recovered with only his fingers needing to regenerate. He focuses and channels his Memento Mori. Three Lightning orbs materialize around his body, crackling with power. He quickly condenses one of the orbs in front of his hand, the others hovering around him, acting like a protective shield.

"Sixth Bullet: Bark of the Cù-Sìth," Levin declares, unleashing the full force of his technique. The orb quickly expands, exploding with a thunderous boom, stunning the demonesses, and halting their advance before a piercing light flashes out and blinds them.

Levin's sixth bullet serves as a defensive maneuver, stunning and disorienting his targets. It's a three-part attack, that cannot be stopped until all three orbs are expelled. First, he creates and condenses lightning orbs, one by one. Once fully compressed, the orb violently explodes with a deafening sound that shakes even the strongest of souls. This explosion, is immediately followed by a blinding light, too impair his adversaries. The final element of this attack is a storm of lightning bolts that fly out in every direction. This triple threat ensures success, as even if his enemies avoid the first or second strike, the third is sure to hit. As for the demonesses, they unfortunately were struck by all three waves.

The demonesses fell to the ground. Their bodies jerking from being electrocuted by the countless bolts that left them paralyzed.

Levin despised using this technique, and thought it was a cowardly move. It wasn't for some code of honor or anything. Reapers don't need to worry about that. They just need to focus on keeping the balance safe, so he developed it, too make sure he could. He always made a conscious effort to use this attack if the situation warrants it. He'd much rather face his opponents head it. It was the only real thrill he got even since he became a reaper. This just happened to be one of the times.

He had to keep the soul stones away from these three monstrosities, but he also realized he couldn't leave these women transfigured like this. They didn't ask to become these abominations, and sadly, there was no way to change them back. All he could do was harvest their soul stones, so they too could return to the cycle.

He cautiously stepped closer to claim their soul stones, "Huh... Where's the third one?" He asked, leaning in to get a better look.

As if materializing from the very shadows themselves, two sinister eyes peered out at Levin. They were a ghostly white. She had waited for this moment, having hid herself within the shadows of her sisters when Levin first conjured his lightning orbs.