22. self sacrifice

𖦹

𖦹

              TRACKING IS EASIER THAN Koa thought it would be. She and Nellie have been following Daryl as he tells the teens how to track what the different footsteps or paw prints are.

                         There's been barely any words exchanged between the three other than that. Koa stuck herself with the two quietest people possible who only respond with an eye roll or grunt. She kicks a rock, looking towards Nellie, "Hey, has Sadie told you what happened at Woodbury?"

                      Nellie raises an eyebrow, "She hasn't told you? Figured she would," She states quickly. It's obvious she's not in the business of small talk, just getting her mom back safe and sound. Koa clenches her jaw, glancing over at Daryl to see he's out of earshot distance, "Did Merle—"

                          "It's not for me to tell you," Nellie sasses and walks away from the teen. Half out of annoyance and half to calm her own heartbeat because the possibilities of what could be happening to her mom are weighing down on her like bricks.

                       Koa huffs. She's alone in the back of this trio. Her thoughts consume her. Everything she's been trying to ignore. She could lose her sister again. This time actually for good. Never to see Sadie again. All she'll really have is the memories once more.

                       She drags her feet along the forest floor, suddenly feeling like she might fall into the hole of hell and let it consume her.

                      "Finch," Daryl calls out. She snaps her head up, stopping in her tracks. "Why you all the way back there, huh? Hurry up, little lady!" He finishes with a typical grunt. Koa rolls her eyes and jogs to catch up with the older man.

               He sees it in her face. It's the same way he felt. The possible impending death of her sister, not her knowing what truly could happen to her.

                          "Merle ain't gonna let nothin' happen to her," Daryl lowly says. Koa laughs at this. He's already done something to her.

                          "Daryl, I wish you would realize that you don't need Merle. He's a piece of shit. Bluntly. You're not a piece of shit—but if you stick with him after everything he's done to her and Michonne. And Nellie. You'll be in the same boat as him in my head," Koa states, shrugging when she sees a twitch of surprise across Daryl's usually expressionless face.

                         "What'd he do to Sadie?" He asks like he's scared of the answer. One of the first times Koa has seen or heard fear from Daryl Dixon. She walks along, Nellie walking behind them. "Somethin', Daryl. Because the way she shudders around him like a baby deer isn't Sadie. How pissed she gets at him. He harmed her. And you know it too," Koa huffs and jogs ahead of them, tired of the cycle on whether or not Merle Dixon is a bad person.