25. it wasn't your time

𖦹

𖦹

                    A SMALL CITY. THAT'S what Sadie thinks of the prison as. A small city of people she once knew under the thumb of someone they all once trusted. Now, they all sit with the same feeling; betrayal.

               This new, rotten world runs on it. It's how Sadie got this far. She betrayed her sister on the day of the fall, she betrayed Nellie and Michonne by saying was Woodbury was safe, she betrayed Merle and she paid the price.

         But her betrayal to The Governor is why her feet are planted on the ground beside Koa, Carl and Beth. The long scar down her forearm tingles. Rose, there's no way she'd forget you.

Though, sometimes it's easier to. Rose's death was her fault. Logically, maybe not but for someone who has had nothing but a plate of responsibility since she left the womb—everything wrong is Sadie Finch's fault.

                           It has to be.

                "That Lizzie girl—she's not all there in the noggin, is she?" Koa taps her temple as she speaks, looking out into the courtyard full of people. Lizzie is currently speaking to Mika about something. Probably convincing her not to eat the deer because that also has a name for all Koa knows. Beth and Sadie both share an exasperated sigh. "Would you stop? She's a kid. I already told you, Koa," Sadie scolds.

         Koa throws her hands in the air, "I'm aware. Very aware. It just—concerns me. Mika is a nice kid. They both are but little sisters," Her eyes drift to Sadie, "They look up to their older ones. No kid needs to die because they didn't understand the world."

                  "Isn't that kinda the beauty in it? Morbid, maybe but I'd rather die not knowing why I was being bit or something. Just—maybe ignorance is bliss for a kid that age in this world," Beth speaks with so much optimism that it strikes Koa in the heart. Whatever opinion she had two seconds ago has been wavered by Beth and that honey coated country accent she loves. Sadie watches Koa's eyes light up with every word dropped from Beth's lips. 

           The brunette's lips twitch and then she remembers Zach and how nice Zach is and how unfair that is that she can't hate him. Because Koa, after five months in a peaceful environment, has accepted her crush on Beth Greene.

           "No," Carl interrupts the moment. Children. All three girls pause, shifting their attention to the boy who's grown almost to Beth's height at this point. Koa knits her eyebrows together, "Would you like to elaborate?"

      Carl shrugs, turning to her, "No," He says and walks away from the three. All Koa does is blink. Sadie lands her hands on her hips and Beth just shakes her head.