23. another grave

𖦹

𖦹

                 BEING A SCARED CHILD is something that Koa Finch will always carry with her. Walking on eggshells just to make it through the day. Memorizing the different creaks so she knew who was approaching her door. When they were uneven and rigid, it was her mom or dad in an intoxicated state stumbling around the home.

When it was soft and barely heard, it was Sadie. Once they got away from their parents, Sadie galloped around the Walsh home. She no longer lived in fear. Koa quickly fell into that pattern as well. Shane protected her but most importantly, Sadie did as well and if Sadie felt okay, she felt okay.

Right now Koa has a nagging feeling tapping her chest that Sadie is a scared child again, just like she is as she tries to find Daryl again. He had yelled at her to go back, go back where it's safe but she refused and now he's gone, disappeared into the dense forest.

Dirt coats her skin, branches have ripped the old band tee on her frame. It's eerily quiet, head thudding. It goes on like that for a few minutes until there's the distant noise of a broken man's cries.

Koa's sneakers reach the edge of the forest, seeing rusted silos. Carefully, Koa follows the cries. She sees the man she knows as family now curled up in a ball beside a walker's body. Daryl Dixon is sobbing his heart out like a scared child.

Koa gasps, running over to him with a hitched breath. Merle's body is rotting, head smashed in with some weapon.

Daryl's eyes are screwed shut but he senses someone standing over him. Koa has fearful tears streaming down her face, one's also filled with sympathy for Daryl—not Merle. Daryl sniffles, wiping his tears as he's embarrassed for someone to see him in such a vulnerable state. Koa crouches down next to him, reaching out a hand to comfort him but he swats it away, pulling himself back to his feet.

This is how it'll be. Koa doesn't know how to comfort the man and Daryl doesn't want to be comforted. "I'm sorry," Koa mutters. Daryl hiccups a sob, sniffling louder. He doesn't say anything, just stares at the teen with tear brimmed eyes. He drags his feet along the gravel, staring at the corpse of his brother.

"Ain't this what you wanted? Huh? For my brother to be dead!" Daryl cries out, taking out his anger on Koa.

"I'm sorry, Daryl—"

"This is what all y'all wanted!" He cries again, the dam in his throat cracking, "You got your goddamn wish!" Koa clenches her fists, gulping guilty. Daryl paces, holding back tears. Koa doesn't know what to do. She can't stand here and wait for him, she has to get to Sadie. But it feels wrong to leave her grieving friend but now the fear of her sister's death is larger than ever. If Merle is dead, Sadie could very much be dead as well.