Chapter 1

Saturday morning was filled with all sorts of delicious smells as well as different crashes of chaos. "That damn well sounds like an Ella day", Lena thought to herself as sunlight suddenly flooded her bedroom. "Mother!"

"Well, good morning, missy. It's about time you get up and going. You know what today is so I expect you to be on your best. Starting with breakfast in 10 minutes. Do not be late, Lena", her mother said. As soon as she left, Lena shuffled out of bed, snapped the curtains back together, and fell right back to sleep. She did not look forward to this day at all.

Lena dragged herself into the castle's dining hall as multiple pairs of eyes stared her down. The three of them were already seated around the long table with plates of food in front. Lena walked to her seat past her sister mumbling, "Happy birthday, bi...hmm."

"Lena, what did I tell you about not being late?", her mother instantly lectured. "Well, I'm here now and the food is still hot so...can we eat?", Lena responded casually. "Yes, we can eat but you should be more considerate of your sister, Lena", her father added. She easily blocked it out and started serving herself. "Uh, hands off, Lenny. Birthday girl is always first and you know that", Ella said smacking Lena's hand away.

Lena was tempted to smack her sister's hand harder but decided to refrain. It is too early in the morning to deal with this family, she thought.

Breakfast that morning played out it's usual course. Ella and their mother blabbered nonstop about the gossip they heard this week. Lena's father continuously requested more and more deviled eggs. All the while Lena keeps occupied with her own thoughts. Yet, all this was interrupted when a maid walked into the dining hall and whispered something to the King. "Uh, can it wait, Miriam?", he said slightly irritated. The maid shook her head side to side. "Well, Miriam, why don't you take Ella to her event planner to see how things are going?", the King suggested. The maid quickly guided Ella out of the dining hall.

Lena assumed this meant breakfast was over and started to stand. "Lena, dear. There's someone your mother and I would like you to meet", her father said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lena and her parents headed down to the first floor of the castle where the main entrance was. A small woman with two suitcases was standing next to the two giant oakwood doors, curiously looking around the place. She looked like she was in her early 20s.

"Ah, Clara! So glad you made it, dear", the King greeted kindly, his voice projecting in the foyer. The young woman came to her attention and smiled brightly. "It's a pleasure to meet you again, Your Highness. And thank you so much for welcoming me into your lovely home", she said bowing. Lena was wondering where this was going.

"Yes, it's great to see you, Clara", the Queen chimed in, "this is our youngest daughter, Princess Lena. As I'm sure you're aware of." Clara bowed to Lena and smiled a wide, friendly smile. "Lena, this is Clara Stonewall, your new assistant", the Queen announced. Lena figured her parents would find another assistant after what happened to the last one.

But what confused her was the fact that her parents wanted the assistant to arrive today on Ella's birthday. They would never do a thing like that on their favorite daughter's birthday.

"Hello! My name is Claraleisel Stonewall but feel free to call me Clara", she introduced to Lena. "Hello, Clara. I'm Lena and it's nice to meet you." Lena was great at masking in almost any social environment. She really did not want another "assistant" following her around all day trying to be like her and all that crap.

"Lena, why don't you kindly show Clara a short tour of the castle. That way she'll know her way around better and you two can get to know each other a bit", her mother suggested but really it was more of a command. Lena internally sighed and said to Clara, "Sure, let's go."

Clara was led on a walk-through of the castle and insisted she see Lena's bedroom when they passed by it. Lena reluctantly opened the door just so Clara could look around. But she suddenly rushed inside, distracted by something.

"Uh-"

"Wow, your room is amazing, Princess!", Clara exclaimed.

"Hm, it's cozy, I guess", Lena responded sitting down on her bed, "So, if you don't mind me asking, how old are you, Clara?" "Me? I'm 20 years old."

Expected answer. "I know, I probably look like I'm 30 or something. I hate it", Clara continued. Lena's attention was caught. "I feel kinda self-conscience but you are so beautiful, like, you're whole family is, really. I wish I looked my age, you know. I guess beauty is a royalty thing."

Lena didn't know how to respond to what she was hearing. "Um, thanks but why don't you go get unpacked and situated in your new room."

"Oh, yes, of course, Your Highness", Clara finally started to leave the room. "One more thing-- should I call you Princess Lena, or Your Highness, or just Lena, or Beautiful Lena--"

"Just Princess or Your Highness is fine", Lena said. Now, can you leave?

"Alright then, Princess!"

The door closed, Lena waited a few seconds, and sighed heavily. She couldn't believe she had to deal with another assistant, especially someone like her.