40. Xiao.. you're special

Around an hour before

Xiao's POV

I was making my way home after leaving the school. My thoughts were all over the place. I wasn't able to focus at all.

"My fated pair..." I murmured under my breath. I couldn't believe that it actually happened. And it happened by coincidence.. if I hadn't given him that one pill and decided to wait to take one.. it wouldn't have happened.

You could call it a miracle. Or maybe a dream coming true. I'm filled with an overwhelming feeling of happiness. They say that finding your fated partner is a joyful occasion. And I'm able to experience it on my own.

But.. how do I explain it to my father? I know he will feel happy for me. But what if he won't like who my fated partner is? Ah.. he isn't like that, so why am I worrying? I just have to make sure that Childe won't be around. I definitely don't want him to know about this. Him knowing.. could be dangerous.

I know I'm blindly suspecting Childe.. but he doesn't seem innocent at all. And I'm well aware that my father is not this dumb to not see it. He must have some kind of a plan.

And the reason why I don't want Childe to know about my fated pair.. it's because Aether isn't stable. From what this Beta said, he isn't mentally stable and healthy. But who would be mentally stable after their parent's death? And.. being part of the accident? For an Omega, this is a lot to take in.

He had no one to fully show him the world. And no one to explain to him his Omega side. His brother.. wasn't able to do all of that. Taking care of a younger brother alone.. must have strained him a lot. He was very protective over Aether. I would say.. he was a bit obsessed with protecting him. But I can't blame him..

Once I reached home, I opened the doors. Since I didn't have to use keys, it means someone's home right now. I just hope Childe isn't here.. otherwise, it would be the worst-case scenario.

"I'm home!" I waited for someone to answer, but even after a few minutes passed, no one answered "Hello? Anybody home?" I decided to look around the house.

I took my mask off, deciding it would help me notice the pheromones of the person who was home. But.. there was no one home. I furrowed my brows and tried to look around a bit more. But there was no luck again.. the house was empty.

"Don't tell me.. someone left without locking the doors?" This happened a few times before. And it always has been my father. He tends to forget about locking the doors while leaving. He's used to the fact that someone is always home.

"Ah, Xiao. You're home early"

I was a bit startled by hearing someone's voice. I thought no one was home..!

"Ah...father" I turned around to see my father yawning and looking a bit sleepy "Were you sleeping?"

"Hmm? Ah yes, it seems like I have fallen asleep. But you came home early today"

"Yes. Something.. happened and I was allowed to go back early" How.. do I say this? How should I say it?

"Something happened? Is everything fine? You look troubled" There was a hint of worry in his voice.

"E-everything is fine..! But.. I need to talk with you about something. And I would prefer.. to do it somewhere else..." I fear that inside this house could be hidden cameras or microphones. Childe could go to any lengths after all. I don't trust him no matter what..