The Variant

You and Loki sat side by side, waiting for Mobius to exit Renslayers office. Your knee bounced up and down quickly.
"Impatient, darling?" Loki asks you.
"I don't think that's quite the right word. Maybe eager. Quicker we go, quicker we get the variant" you say.
"Then what?"

You pause, leaning back in your seat with a sigh. "I don't know. But I'm not staying here"
"Agreed" Loki nods.
"Once this is over we'll never have to see each other again" you tell him. "Isn't that good?"
"Splendid" Loki grins, though his smile drops as soon as you look away.

The door wings open, Mobius bursting though and gesturing the two of you to follow him. "We're on" he says.
You all walk down the corridor and into the room where minutemen were preparing for the mission.
"We're doing some good work today" Mobius says.
"I thought so too" Loki responds.

"I'm telling you. You guys help us catch this Variant, and who knows my friends"
"Good enough for a face-to-face with the Time-Keepers?" Loki asks him.
"I didn't say that" Mobius shakes his head. "One step at a time"
Mobius reaches up, grabbing two pairs of daggers and a sword, handing them to you and Loki. "Just in case" he smiles.

Loki grins as he takes his daggers, staring at them as if they were his children he had reunited with.
"Finally" you smile at your sword, only for it to be taken out of your grasp, as well as Loki's daggers.
"Absolutely not" B-15 spat as she puts the weapons into a new locker instead. "Gather around for a briefing."

"Roxxcart is a vast superstore common to the era. It consists of a series of sprawling sections including a large warehouse. This warehouse is being used by civilians as a shelter trying to ride out the storm. Remember, this is a class ten apocalypse. While the Variant shouldn't know we're coming, he could be hiding anywhere and should be considered hostile. So stay alert. Every time there is an attack, the Variant steals a reset charge. He's planning something. We just don't know what. So keep an eye out for the missing charges, and if you see a Loki, prune it" B-15 finishes her little speech.

You point to Loki, using your hands to pretend to prune him and he stares at you, completely unimpressed.
"The bad Loki, preferably" he says, turning to the Agents.

2050, Alabama

You and Loki walk behind Mobius through the orange portal, rain instantly drenching you.
"Anything?" Mobius asks B-15.
"Nothing yet" she responds. "Move out!"
You all make your way into Roxxcart, stopping once you get inside and looking around.

Loki sighs, using his magic to dry himself. You turn to him, as does B-15.
"The hell was that?!" She asks him.
"That was me using magic to dry my clothes. So I don't announce myself with every squeaky footstep like the rest of you" he tells her.
"Can you dry me too?" You ask him. "They didn't exactly give me a proper raincoat either."
"I think I'm good" Loki smirks.
"Oh fuck you"

"Language!" Mobius scolds you.
"Take both teams and sweep the storm shelter" B-15 gives out orders, to which the Agents comply.
"Loki, Y/N and I are gonna check out the Green House. We'll meet-"
"No" B-15 cuts Mobius off.
"No?" Mobius questions her.
"You go with D-90, they stay with me."

"What?! They're under my supervision"
"This is my field op, Mobius. If they're not a threat, then-"
"Oh course they're a threat! Do you not remember the Time Theatre?! That's why I want them with me!" He argues.
"You are more than welcome to go back to the TVA and litigate with Renslayer, but right now-"
"We're here! We're not going back. The Variant is here."

"Mobius, it's fine. It's fine. You can trust us" Loki stops him. "We understand we have to earn that, so, we will."
"Why is it the people you can't trust are always saying 'Trust me'?" He asks you both.
You just shrug, awkwardly in the middle of the whole thing.
"Okay, try to hang on to your time collar this time. We'll see you in the showroom" Mobius says, walking away.