- 𝟎𝟔 -

Ever since the young princess could remember, the world around her had revolved around her sister

 Ever since the young princess could remember, the world around her had revolved around her sister. Her sister was the sun—providing her warmth and joy to all those under it. Even before she had begun putting on her act of insanity, her sister had always taken the spotlight. Praise was poured onto her endlessly for every step she took, every inhale and exhale of her soft and ample chest.

To say that the princess felt inferior was a drastic understatement. Her sister caught everyone's attention simply by existing while she had become a mere wallflower plastered there for decoration.

Insignificant.

Utterly pointless.

There was no reason for her to be alive.

Due to her standing, the princess quickly learned and could comprehend the concept of death. She thought to herself that perhaps the life she was living now was only the beginning; that once she died she would shed out of her cocoon and spread her wings as a beautiful butterfly. Then she could fly far, far away from these lands and into other worlds where she would no longer have to be confined in her sister's shadow.

The turning point for the sisters occurred when she turned four years old. In an act never seen before, the young princess had taken a kitchen knife and driven it through her abdomen. The knife failed to puncture any important organs as she had initially hoped, and instead caused a hot and sticky pain to spread through her. She could feel the sharp blade wedged inside her, the unnatural coolness of the metal piercing through her veins. Slowly, sickeningly, blood began to pour from the incision. The princess watched the scarlet fluid ooze down her dress, painting the soft cream color into a hideous scarlet. Unable to hold up her legs anymore, she collapsed to the ground. Her chest felt tight as if someone was squeezing her lungs and she found that they failed to expand as they should've.

The pain was intoxicating yet endlessly sweet as if a flower had bloomed in her chest and begun to poison her intestines. The princess wished desperately she could have let out a sigh of relief as she saw servants hurrying towards her with panicked expressions on their faces.

Would they pay attention to her now?

.  .  .

Dan Heng closed the book upon finishing the last sentence of the chapter. He flipped over the book once more to give the cover inquisitively. Scrawled across the cover was "The Insane Princess" in cursive text, with the credit for the work going to Geord Feugal. 

He wasn't one for pretentious and extensive narration, however upon realizing the implications behind this text Dan Heng found himself immersed in a sea of thoughts. There was too much of a correlation between the tale he just read and the situation between [Y/N] and her sister, Phoebe. Even a dimwit could piece the two together.