ACT ONE. LINGERING

𝖑𝖎𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖗𝖎𝖓𝖌

𝖑𝖎𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖗𝖎𝖓𝖌. his hand felt warm
against yours, save for the
conflict reflected in his eyes.

𝗗𝗔𝗡 𝗛𝗘𝗡𝗚 𝗚𝗔𝗦𝗣𝗘𝗗 for air, waking up with a start from the same recurring nightmare

𝗗𝗔𝗡 𝗛𝗘𝗡𝗚 𝗚𝗔𝗦𝗣𝗘𝗗 for air, waking up with a start from the same recurring nightmare. he cursed under his breath, perhaps he should’ve just buried his nose under the countless data that needed to be sorted out.

“a nightmare again?” a soothing voice reverberated. soft fingers card through his hair, soothing his tense form. dan heng feels himself relaxing under your soothing touch, your voice driving away the image of a blade pierced through him and the laugh of a maniacal, dark-haired man who sees him as his past incarnation.

“y/n…” he murmurs, almost reverently. “you’re still here…”

“yes, you did hold onto my hand when you drifted off to sleep.” your words were truth, no teasing lilt in your voice. and so he did, and dan heng only has himself to blame.

you sat on his poor excuse for a bed, his hand wound tightly into yours, just like how he remembered — in a past that haunted him.  you gazed, smiled, so fondly at him that his heart squeezed and his throat dried. is that directed for him? or is it dan feng that you saw? whichever it is, dan heng finds himself not ready to hear your answer no matter how much he strongly denies.

you see the conflict in his eyes and withdraw your hand. you knew from the beginning, dan feng was him, yet also not him. lost after you lover, the previous vidyadhara elder was forced to undergo reincarnation, himeko — the red-haired lady who repaired the train that travels the stars, called the astral express — took you in.

“she did nothing wrong, all this falls on me,” dan feng snarls, fighting off the chains that bind him. “touch even a single strand of her hair and consider loosing another ship.” both his race and the xianzhou luofu general knew he’s capable of destroying the flimsy bindings on him.

dan feng turns to jing yuan, the current general of the luofu, his friend. the white-haired general could see the shift in his friend’s demeanor, the pleading in dan feng’s eyes, a rare sight he’d not glimpsed before. and jing yuan wonders just how important you are to him when he heard his next words, “you know she did nothing wrong, do not harm her or so aeon forbid what i’ll do.”