ACT THREE: FOREIGN

𝖋𝖔𝖗𝖊𝖎𝖌𝖓

𝖋𝖔𝖗𝖊𝖎𝖌𝖓. dan heng wonders, is
he allowed to feel this way?

“𝗗𝗔𝗡 𝗙𝗘𝗡𝗚, i really should not be here,” you hiss but the current high elder did not bat an eye

“𝗗𝗔𝗡 𝗙𝗘𝗡𝗚, i really should not be here,” you hiss but the current high elder did not bat an eye. his hand remains warm and steady on your pulse, squeezing it slightly as a poor attempt at reassurance.

he sneaked you inside scarlorge waterscape again, a sacred place for the vidyadhara - someone a human like you shouldn’t be in. since the past years, dan feng had been obsessed with finding ways to escape the molting rebirth the vidyadhara are forced to face. even more so when he met you, and dan feng himself had never hidden this fact from you.

“yingxing is already researching,” is all he says, thumbs uncharacteristically caressing your pulse as if he were nervous. researching, he said. you had an inkling what it was but chose to keep quiet. dan feng is a decisive man, often mistaken as cold and unfeeling. “soon,” he murmurs, stopping to face you, his hand caressing your cheek. “a family with you,” he finishes.

cold beads of sweat trickled down the side of your face, awoken by the distant dream. it was late in the afternoon already. usually, pom-pom would be scolding you for not taking your breakfast and lunch. but after what happened a few days ago in the luofu, the return of yingxing — now blade, and the appearance of dan heng’s true form as imbibitor lunae.

you could barely remember the suppressed pained look jing yuan sent your way, or the way your throat clogged upon seeing such a familiar form, such a familiar stance, but no less the different from the high elder that promised you a future with him. 

a look of recognition flashes by dan heng, and you hoped. but it was quickly replaced with a complicated look, and dan heng turned his back on you, walking forward and creating more distance without as much as a single word to you.

your phone buzzes just as you are about the leave the express for the luofu, snapping you out of your thoughts and saving you from getting hit with foot traffic. it was dan heng. reading his name was enough to have your face warming up, your lips suddenly tingling.