248 | The Condition

"AND WE MEET AGAIN, Maximilian Leigh Sinclaire," Vesper says as he looks straight at Max, who is standing right in front of him with a determined look on his face. "Did you hear about the bombing incident and got worried about me?" He then asks him.

     Vesper was taking a peaceful nap at Omega Society's clubroom when Max suddenly arrived and woke him up, which annoyed the 4th year serf since he wasn't able to sleep properly last night after the incident with Elijah. 

     President Justice Thorndyke held him at the Saint's office all night, hoping to get answers from him. But Vesper kept his statement consistent. What happened yesterday was just an accident. That's what he claimed. Justice obviously told him it was bullshit and even handed him back his dagger, but Vesper said he must have dropped it and remained calm throughout the interrogation.

     Justice had no other choice but to let him go.

     "Elijah Valor told me about what happened," Max says as Vesper yawns and stretches his hands while sitting on top of a table.

     "So you've been friendly with Memphis. I'm quite jealous," Vesper sarcastically says. "But I guess it's not really a surprise to someone like you. You've faced far worse threats, and you've even been kidnapped before, right? An attempted assassination is child's play to you."

     Max couldn't tell if Vesper was messing with him or was just being blunt, but since Vesper had already opened the topic up, Max took a deep breath and told him, "I'm sorry this keeps happening to you, even when you already left Crème de la Crème."

     Vesper was surprised at the sudden apology, and this time, he wasn't able to hide the expression. He wasn't expecting Max to suddenly say such a thing to him out of all people.

     "Why the fuck are you apologizing? Did you send that white uniform to kill me?" Vesper asks instead, trying to act indifferent.

     "Of course not."

     "Then I don't need such sympathy. Especially from you."

     "I'm just being kind."

     "Kindness will only kill you," Vesper fires back, and for a second, Max saw the pain and sadness in his eyes, almost like he saw a glimpse of what the ex-member of Crème de la Crème went through. But Max knew not to say anything about it. It wouldn't be wise to open such a sensitive topic, especially when Max doesn't know Vesper enough.

     "There's no reason for you to be hostile. I came here for a different reason. I just said what I said out of pity, so if you don't want it, you're free to ignore it," Max says instead, making Vesper return to his usual playful self.

     "I assumed much. The determination you have in your face isn't a look someone puts when they want to talk about death," Vesper says, once again in a sarcastic tone.

     Max fixes his posture and looks straight into Vesper's eyes before saying, "I'm hoping you can help guard Hell Sanctum, especially on the weekends. We're predicting that the Gaffers Division will be attacking us during that time."

     Vesper wasn't expecting to hear such a request, but after a couple of seconds, he finally started laughing. Max knew this was going to be his reaction, but he still found it bothersome.

     "You're asking me to guard that dump? You, Maximilian Sinclaire?" Vesper asks, wiping the tears in his eyes while he continues laughing out loud. "This is just wonderful! I never thought I'd hear such a thing from you."

     "I'm being serious," Max says.

     "Oh, I know you're serious. That's what makes it funnier," Vesper replies, making Max clench his fist because Vesper wasn't taking him seriously at all. This was important to him and to their division. Monday is coming up, and they really need his help.