Shadow of a Doubt

The fires continued burning, the smoke rising in the air of the Sakura Empire's naval base. The group of ships returned to the port with a tense atmosphere hanging around. The consequences of Midway's attack were apparent, with the port in ruins, ships heavily damaged, and the threat of a nuclear bomb shaking them up. 

Azur Lane reacted much of the same way, the same tension rising. The news of Midway's brazen attack against the Crimson Axis had spread like wildfire throughout much of the world, and both factions were on high alert. Saratoga wanted to coordinate efforts and provide relief and support to the Sakura Empire as a sign of cooperation. However they refused any assistance, being paranoid ever since the attack.

Midway's carrier was heavily damaged from the fighting and was making a retreat. It was being hounded by Sakura Empire destroyers that spotted it, fighters usually deterred them, but he was starting to run out. The next wave of destroyers were repelled, and his ship was still moving. He looked down at the monitor and sighed.

"43 aircraft left. Immense damage to the flight deck and onboard hanger. Secondary guns 1 through 4, and 7 through 13 are destroyed. AA guns are practically scrap."

He sat back in his chair, the immense smell of smoke polluting the air and sighed.

"Engines 2 and 3 are stalled. Rudder's destroyed. I'm just sailing forward at a lousy 22 knots. I wonder..."

Suddenly the radar console beeps and Midway gets up to look at the radar. There was an island directly in front of his ship.

He ran out of the bridge and looked through some binoculars at the island. It was in ruins and looked to have been destroyed in a bombing attack.

"Oh..."

"Oh shit."

The carrier still moved at full speed as Midway ran back into the bridge and slid under a console. "Time to brace for impact."

The carrier's remaining propellers spinned to a stop, and then went full power in reverse speed. However the momentum still carried it forward.

A loud scraping sound and a sudden thud shot Midway forward a bit, the carrier was pushing into the island and had destroyed a few buildings in its wake.

After what seemed like an eternity, the ship came to a stop and rested with a slight tilt to port on the island. Midway got up from under the console and looked around.

"Well, this has got to be the worst direction of all time... but it isn't my fault someone put an island in the way."

He left the bridge and walked down to the hangers. Tools from workbenches were everywhere and some things got flinged in the crash. The planes appeared alright.

He looked at the remaining F4Us and F9Fs and said "I lost all the attackers... we only got fighters left." He then turned to the 2,000 lb bombs left in hanger and continued "Desperate times call for desperate actions."

The front of the flight path was clear and Midway was starting to send up his fighters. He knew the destroyers probably reported his location, so he should expect a Sakura fleet here soon.

The grounded carrier was still capable of flight operations, but he needed support as soon as possible. He sat down at the radio officer's console and turned off the encryption.

"No point in hiding a ship this big." Midway said as he started his message.

"All forces, all forces. This is USS Midway, my ship is disabled and we are grounded at an unknown island. We are requesting immediate assistance. If assistance is unavailable, we will fight with what we have. And to the Sakura fleet approaching. I know you can hear me... and I know where you are."