chapter one

grayson

"Grayson."

A voice fades in and out of my memory. It's low at first, just a soft mumble, almost barely audible.

Until it gets louder and louder. A voice that is all too familiar. One I would recognize anywhere.

"Grayson."

Turning around, I'm face to face with the woman of my dreams.

She's standing in front of me, in a gorgeous maroon dress. Her hair is neatly tied up in a ponytail, just the way she likes it. She looks as stunning as ever.

Suddenly it's like I'm looking at her for the first time again.

"Grayson." Betty's sweet voice speaks, and I love the sound of my name on her lips. It's delicate and smooth, angelic like the God's up above.

"Betty." I smile, as she leans up to place her hand on my cheek. "You're here."

"Of course I'm here. I love you, silly." She giggles and wraps her arms around my neck. And I feel safe, like I'm wrapped in a warm blanket.

My cheeks heat up with comfort.

"I never thought you'd speak to me again." I look into her blue eyes.

"Why's that?" She knits her brows together.

"Well, because-"

"Because he's a traitor." Another voice calls from behind. But unlike Betty's, this one is different. There's a rough edge to it.

Snapping my head back, Augustine Taylor is standing before me. Only this time, she looks different. Almost unrecognizable.

She's in a filthy white dress that's covered in wet dirt. Her shiny blonde hair is matted and knotty. There's streaks of heavy black makeup running down her cheeks. 

Dirt also takes over her face and her body. She's barefoot, her feet dusty from the ground.

She looks like she's been buried alive. Her eyes have dark circles under them.

"August." I look at the state she's in, shocked by her appearance. "What happened to you?"

She shakes her head with a scoff. "You happened to me, Grayson." Her voice comes out with an unsteady ease. It's shaky, raspy, and broken.

"No." I shriek, tears filling my eyes.

"Yes! Look at me! This is all your fault!" She's crying now, sobbing hysterically. "Don't you see what you did?"

"No! No, I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry!" I begin to panic, my heart pounding against my chest.

"Grayson." Betty's voice says, pulling me back to her.

"Grayson." Augustine tries to reach for me.

"Grayson!"

My eyes jolt open as I jump up in my bed. Breathing heavily, I stare at Ethan in front of me. He's sitting next to me, his hand placed on my shoulder.