Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Abdullah suited her family. He sat in between her brothers, sipping chai and talking as if he had known them since forever. The ice had finally broken, and her brothers—especially Zakariya bhai—looked at ease. Even her father, who was usually a rather quiet and reserved man, was talking more than she had seen him talk to anyone on the first meeting.

I think he's going to ask soon, Shasmeen texted Abeer. He looks really happy

She could easily imagine Abdullah and herself with her family; picnics on pleasant afternoons, walks on the beach in the early morning, family dinners. She imagined all of them engaging in laughter and light banter and lengthy discussions of life. She imagined her father starting with his occasional reflections of the Quran, encouraging them one by one to share what they felt about particular verses.

It was all so reachable, so close.

Any man would be happy with you, Abeer shot back. Shasmeen rolled her eyes at her best friend's habit of turning anything into a compliment.

Pancakes. Their code word reminder for, you're praising me for something I don't deserve praise on. Like maple syrup and strawberry jam and melted caramel on pancakes, which were already sweet, pancakes was what they said to each other when they were grateful but felt undeserving.

No. The truth.

Shasmeen shook her head. They could go on for days, but neither would back down. They hyped up and supported each other fervently when needed, and advised and critiqued each other harshly when needed. Changing the subject, she typed: What are you doing?

Patting the boys to sleep. You?

Hiding in the kitchen. Shasmeen pushed herself off the kitchen counter, from where she had been observing Abdullah through the dining room's mirror.

The night was progressing fast, the clock that inched toward eleven pm attested to that. Hurry up Abdullah, we don't have all night.

Her gaze flickered to the sliding door, recalling the hazy memory of someone standing there drenched on an evening very much like the one she was experiencing now. Back then her heart had gone from whole to shattered in a matter of a few hours, now her heart was only growing fuller and fuller.

"Shasmeen?" Her mother called out, entering through the second staircase after praying Isha. "Kia kar rahi hain? What are you up to?"

The daughter smiled gently. "Stargazing." She nodded towards the mirror, bringing her mother's gaze towards what she saw.

Reema knitted her eyebrows, showing equal amounts of disapproval and excitement at her daughter staring at her suitor. "He looks at home, doesn't he?"

"Yeah. Do you think Baba likes him?"

"He does. Look at him smiling, he doesn't smile like that with anyone other than his children."

"Are you excluding yourself, Ma? Are you complaining?"

"Shasmeen," her mother warned.

"Mazak tha!" She chuckled, "It's a joke!" She hugged her mother, an antic of hers to drown her with love before her mother said anything to admonish or correct her.

"How are you feeling?" Reema asked, gently pushing Shasmeen away to study her face.

"Seriously speaking?" Shasmeen let out a shaky sigh. She felt shy to answer, but confessed,"I think he's everything I've ever prayed for."