Twelve

Horns sounded from the four corners of the city

Horns sounded from the four corners of the city. The official announcement for the beginning of Velnaih, the start of a new day, the waking of the world after the long sleep of winter, a celebration of spring.

Elias stood with his siblings behind Azra as the First Father watched from his balcony as garden faeries set the palace gardens into full bloom.  Spectators dressed in white cheered as each colorful petal was awakened, urged through dark soil to grow into the beautiful show for the gods watching.

Marlo scoffed from where he stood on Elias' left. "They show off their powers while our world dies under ice and snow." The dark-haired teen shook his head before turning away from the show and disappearing back into the palace.

Mia hummed her agreement, eyes hard as she stared out at the gathered crowd of Fae.

Elias wondered what they saw. Wondered what their home looked like in their dreams. None of the gods discussed it, at least not around him. He only had memories of his home. Memories of his childhood home with walls covered in childish drawings, loud mornings, and his older brother's tired eyes.

Azra raised his golden goblet after taking a long drink, cheers following as he welcomed the celebrations of the season. Horns blared again, this worlds sun bright as it reached the middle of the sky.

The celebrations moved to the ballroom where rich sweets and sparkling drinks were offered on the golden trays of passing servants. All around him were the whooshing white skirts and flapping tails, the fabrics woven with colorful stitching's of flowers and sprouting greenery. Their feet following the flow of music, their dances imitating the rebirth of life. Elias' stood stiffly in his own suit, the collar rubbing uncomfortably against his neck. He remained ridged on the outskirts, as far away from the dancing bodies and fake pleasantries as he could get.

Marlo was nowhere to be found and the twins were preoccupied with sneaking drinks and chatting with the young High Fae. Elias pretended to be oblivious, just as he pretended not to notice Maverik, who had a faerie in a darkened corner, making the female giggle to his whispered words.

The beginnings of a headache throbbed behind his eyes. The high-pitched voices of the singing faeries too loud for his sensitive ears.

He took the long way around the elegant room, no one interested in the small hybrid enough to stop him or pull him into conversation. The tall double doors that led into the gardens had been left wide open, the cool breeze flowing into the ballroom brought with it the fresh scent of the newly blossomed flowers.

Elias breathed easier outdoors, away from majority of the stifling crowd. A few partygoers lingered in the gardens, enjoying the sights of the artfully placed flowers and stone statues.

Pain spiked behind his eyes and Elias shook his head to foolishly try to rid it. His vision blurred slightly, and his hand raised to the thin chain he wore around his neck.