Six

The kid stood in front of him, shivering despite the fact he was using hot water he'd boiled to wash him down

The kid stood in front of him, shivering despite the fact he was using hot water he'd boiled to wash him down. His pale skin was red from Cameron's rough scrubbing, but he didn't complain.

Pouring the remaining hot water over him to wash away the soap, Cameron made short work of drying him off and getting him dressed. The kid knew his role today, Cameron had made sure of it. They couldn't mess up. It was not an option.

Francis had disappeared deeper into the store to give them some privacy. Or so was her excuse. Cameron suspected she was checking on her supply of high-priced alcohol. The remaining shelves that once stored the product were now filled with random things she had collected over the years. Cameron knew she had to have the alcohol stashed somewhere within the building. This would be so much easier if he could steal a bottle off her but that would be asking for death. Something he wanted to avoid. He had seen what the woman was capable of.

The kid would play along today without fussing. He wanted his damn teddy bear.

Once they were both bundled up in enough layers to keep warm, Cameron led them out of the building without a goodbye to the bitch. He held on tightly to the kid's gloved hand, not wanting to lose him before he got what he needed.

He had spent the day before familiarizing himself more so with the streets, finding the fastest and safest ways to take. Back alleyways could be useful but also dangerous. Not just because of the creatures but because anyone could have traps placed. Main roads would be the safest. Not that it was much safer, but humans had the tendency to keep their dirty business a secret, and they were less likely to get lost.

The kid was so quiet, Cameron would have thought he had forgotten him if he wasn't holding his hand. Even his steps in the snow didn't make a sound. A skill bred from fear. Everyone has seen what happens if you're caught by those monsters. If they leave anything behind that is. No one wants to be food.

Jameson had made it clear that if Cameron didn't get him what he wanted, there would be more consequences than not getting into his place. That bastard would make sure he'd suffer. Cameron would do what he wanted, but he also knew he'd find a way to return the favor before disappearing.

That's if Roach didn't get to him first. If he's caught, Cameron is positive he won't be leaving the bar alive. There is no telling what they would do to the kid. An accomplish, no matter how old, and that his sole motive was a stuffed bear. Something in the back of his mind told him to feel guilty about forcing the four-year-old to be a part of his thievery. Another part smothered out any guilt. It was best to learn young and gain some skill. He was teaching him something valuable that could keep him alive in this shitty world, he reasoned.

Wrenching open the heavy door, Cameron pushed the kid in before entering behind him and making sure the door shut firmly. He did not want anything following them in. Their shoes could be heard scuffing over the dirt covered stairs as they went down. The kid was being too slow about it, so Cameron carried him the rest of the way. He wanted to get this done and over with as quick as possible, and with no problems.