Five

Flipping the page in the thick leather-bound book, Elias took his time reading over the words of an ancient language

Flipping the page in the thick leather-bound book, Elias took his time reading over the words of an ancient language. It was a book much like the ones his older brother would read to him years ago in a quiet library, similar in atmosphere to the one he hid away in now. Only the gods in this book were very much different, The Gods of Arkaenia. These Gods he knew to be real, he lived with them.

He was stuck on a word, the language still difficult for him to read. His tutor was impressed with how quick he took to and understood the complex tongue of the First. He was the only one out of his siblings who had interest in learning it. In truth, it was easier trying to wrap his brain around the complex words than letting it wonder on its own. The distraction was very much needed. 

The silence was disturbed by loud yelling, and a soft sigh left his lips. Giving up for the time being, he closed the ancient book.

Elias already knew who was causing all the noise. It was a common disturbance now.

Leaving the comfort of the imperial study, he entered the deserted halls. He fidgeted with the gold necklace around his neck, eyes flickering to the high ceilings. They were painted as beautiful blue skies and puffy clouds. So realistic he felt the urge to reach up and touch them. Sometimes, if he paid close enough attention, he would notice curious eyes peaking over the clouds. He didn't like it, the knowledge of something always watching him. 

Following the shouting to the entrance hall, the two large doors were left open as two guards struggled to pull in the raging, black haired, thirteen-year-old. Every one of the hits the teen landed left a dent in their golden armor. 

"Your Highness," one greeted formally when she spotted Elias, her head bowing. The other bowed his head as he struggled to hold onto the teen. "He was found stealing from the guard's armory...again."

"I'll make sure it doesn't happen again." He sighed in defeat, not knowing what else to say. They didn't respond, knowing he had no control over his rebelling younger brother.

Marlo shook off the guards' hands, glaring hatefully at them. His black curls were in a disarray, falling into his eyes. It was always difficult getting him to sit still for a haircut, or much of anything.

The guards bowed to him once more before leaving, shutting the heavy doors firmly behind them.

"Dirty bastards." Marlo growled, his hateful blue eyes sweeping over Elias with distaste and anger. The anger was always there no matter who he was in the company of.

Elias watched his little brother who wasn't so little anymore. Already, he was a few inches taller than Elias. He missed the small chunky boy who would run to him excitedly. He wished he hadn't taken those times for granted, thinking things would always be the same. Elias knew better now but it was already too late.

"Not hanging around your smelly mutt?" Marlo questioned, noting Sam's absence.

Elias bristled, not liking the insult to his Mate. But this was Marlo, he spoke that way about everyone. "He took the twins shopping." He replied. The twins had insisted they needed new outfits for their sixteenth birthday. Well, Aurora had insisted, and Mia had demanded.