Two

Blood sprayed across his face as he dragged his blade across the creature's throat, the other plunging into its skull with enough force to slam it down into the snow

Blood sprayed across his face as he dragged his blade across the creature's throat, the other plunging into its skull with enough force to slam it down into the snow. The large pinchers on each side of its face giving a final click as its distorted body slumped, the last of life leaving it. More blood sprayed onto him when he jerked his blade from its head and watched the warm liquid slide down into the snow, staining it vermilion.

Stepping back from its body, Salem's eyes scanned his surroundings. All that there is now, is darkness. He thrived in it, seemed to come alive within it, but he knew the dangers it posed for the others, for their world. Without the sun, the world was dying, and magic was the only thing keeping it together. 

Snow crunched and Salem spun to the large wolf walking towards him. Sheathing the blades in the holster fastened to his thighs, Salem met the wolf halfway. He stopped to run his fingers along his bloody snout, meeting golden eyes. 

"Was that the last of them?"

Azrael growled softly in confirmation, pressing his head again his palm. Salem nodded as his eyes scanned the abandoned street again, his fingers tangling in his mate's coarse fur. He knew he couldn't stay in his fur for long. The cold affected even the wolves, more so than they were used to. It had never been an issue for them before, and even still some passed because of it.

The two walked quietly through the small town, snow crunching under them. Even though they had combed through every street, every building, Salem felt along the thickest shadows for anything that felt like it didn't belong.

The others would be waiting for them at the church. It was the only building that stood in the center of the town. The large cross that had at one point stood tall on top of the building had fallen and now lay propped against the side, as if to ward off unwanted company. The windows were boarded up tightly and only a hint of light broke through. These peoples self-opposed mayor had agreed to round up the remaining humans. The few creatures that they had hunted were of lower ilk, common in small towns not yet deserted. They picked off what little remained of the living before moving on.

Walking up the stairs to the church, Salem pushed open the doors for him and Azrael to enter. Heads turned towards them, eyes scared and hesitant. Untrusting. He wasn't surprised by how few there were sitting in the pews. Billions had died in the first few years alone.

Salem turned to the tall blonde walking towards him. Her puffy white coat and white snow suit were covered in blood, an excited glint in her light brown eyes.

"There's only forty six. Twelve are ill." Melisande said, coming to a stop in front of them. Nosipian appeared at his side with a stack of folded clothes.

Nodding his thanks, Salem took the clothes and put up a wall of darkness as Azrael shifted. The screams of the frightened humans were ignored as Salem smirked at his mate, his eyes traveling over the male from head to toe.