💐6💐

5 year old Kathir was never one to show people that he was troubled. He was feeling sad as he walked back home from school. He had been looking forward to spending some time with his aunt Parvathy, who always pampered him with sweets and stories. He was really excited when his mother informed him months back, that his aunt will be staying them for a few months. But at that time he wasn't aware that her whole time will be taken by a tiny cherub named Mullai. Ever since Mullai was born, Parvathy had no time for him. She was always busy taking care of the baby girl, who cried a lot and made a mess of everything.

Kathir didn't hate Mullai, but he didn't like her either. She was his cousin, but she felt like a stranger to him. She always tried to crawl towards him and grab his toys, but he would run away from her and hide in his room. He wished she would leave him alone.

So, as he entered his house with his school bag slung low over his tiny shoulders and his empty lunch box in the hands of his mother who was following him inside, his chocolate orbs bore into the little form that was jumping on the lap of his beloved aunt as the rest of the family sat around them and cooed. She was her and his dad's little princess and her and his amma's new muse and worst his two elder brothers favourite play mate. The 3 year old had suddenly become the apple of everyone's eye and she seemed to have wrapped every goddamn being living in the house around her chubby little finger.

If she cried, everyone suddenly became troubled and distressed and when she laughed, everyone had goofy smiles adorned on their faces like that gurgly laugh was the most unbelievable phenomenon that could ever transpire. Kathir never understood how something that small, could so easily take his place in the hearts of the people his world revolved around, that something small being his very own little cousin, Mullai.

Kathir fumed as he marched straight towards his room, trying his best to get his mom or his aunt's attention while she played with Mullai.

Parvathy – Adadei, yaaru vandhu irukanga paarunga? En singakutti school poitu vandutaara. Thangam athai kitta vanga, innaikku school la enna panneenga sollunga..

Parvathy asked as she sat her daughter down on her lap and motioned for her nephew to come to her. Kathir was elated when his aunt called for him. He immediately ran upto Parvathy and sat beside her.

Mullai gaggled loudly almost falling off her mother's lap to envelop her favourite cousin in her tiny arms. Lakshmi and Parvathy awed as they captured the beautiful scene in their hearts. Kathir however was feeling a little uneasy, he didn't understand how he could start liking the little form halfway on his lap and halfway on her mother's while he made it very clear in his mind that he had to dislike her.

Mullai threw one of her toothless smiles his way and Kathir's heart immediately melt a little. Maybe his cousin was not that bad afterall, she was tiny, she had cute hazel eyes like his aunt and dad and she was always babbling something in her cute little voice while she played.

All was fine for a second and what happened after that second made Kathir's earlier anger take its rightful place back in his mind. Mullai's adorable laughter turned to languid sobs and finally she wailed loudly succeeding in getting her mother's whole attention. Parvathy, like predicted had given her daughter what she wanted and Kathir was left alone all over again. Lakshmi sensing Kathir's predicament decided she'd deal with him while Parvathy tended to Mullai.

Lakshmi – Saami, enna aachu pa? En oru maadiri irukeenga..School la miss edavadu sonnangala ya?

Lakshmi asked as she signalled for him to come to her while Parvathy trying to handle a fussy Mullai on her lap.

Kathir half-hearted walked upto his mother while Parvathy tried to make her daughter stop crying.

Parvathy – Ennama, enna aachu en vairathukku? Thuni maathanuma en thangathukku.. Illayae.. Vera enna venum chellathukku?