two

The Hemmings went home around nine, as Luke got really, really tired and had to take medication around that time. I didn't object.
My mom set up plans to help them unpack, as Liz had the entire house plus Luke to do. I was incharge of Luke's bedroom.
After showering and putting on some makeup, my mom dragged us accross the lawn to the Hemmings', and stood in the doorway smiling.
"Welcome! Oh, Lauren, wouldn't you rather be at home sleeping in? It's so early,"
It was only nine, but I would have loved to be sleeping.
"She is here to help." My mom stated.
"Your off the hook for at least an hour, Luke could sleep untill two if he wanted too,"
"I bet she could as well," my mom added. "It's good to get up early sometimes."
Liz invited us inside, apologizing for the mess of boxes.
I began unpacking dishes for her, listening to adult convorsations about things I didn't understand. Eventually, I chose a new box, this time full of weird medical devices.
"Lauren, honey, can you put that in the hallway?"
"Yep!" I smiled, lifting up the box. It was suprizingly light, making it easy to carry upstairs. I dropped it in the middle of the hallway, next to a door which was wide open. The matress on the floor was covered in blankets, leaving Lukes nose, eyes and forehead uncovered. I laughed a little to myself, and stepped away quickly before he saw me.
"-kid has been to hell and back this year, and he is going back to hell in November to get his back straightened out."
"That's terrible," my mom answered. "He seems like a trooper."
"I guess we will find out."
I ignored their convorsation and went about re-arranging dishes.
"I'm going to go wake sleeping beauty up, so take a break guys, you earned it," Liz laughs. My mom and I stood next to one another, as she flipped through a magazine on their counter.
"So, " my mom sighed, shutting the magazine. I didn't feel like convorsating with her.
I returned to the china cabinet, filling it with glasses and plates while Liz was off doing something else. 
Shortly, Liz and Luke came back downstairs. Luke had on some worn in sweats that looked too big for his string thin frame.
"Mooom, where is my coffee mug?" Luke whined, closing a box accross the room from me.
"A box in you room!" She answered.
"Damn." He huffed. I heard the clicking off the crutches near me, and he giggled.
"What?" I asked.
"I am laughing at this cabinet," he said. "It's ancient. Look, there is a dent from the time a drove a scooter into it and all the dishes broke."
I chuckled. "Oh?"
"That was fun. I can't believe she trusts me to be in the same house as this thing. "
I loaded in the last dish, and wiped the dust off my hands on my yoga pants.
"Do you need any help unpacking? I'm supposed to be working in your room," I asked.
"That would be great, I really want coffee and I don't have a mug,"
I shook my head, giggling as he turned to go upstairs. 
He smacked the door roughly with his crutch, opening it up.
"Welcome to m- oh shit, it smells like paint in here," he coughed, and limped over the the window which he pried open somehow.
We started on the first box, which I split open with my nails. I took out an object, and he told me where to put it, as walking in circles around a room wasn't the easiest task for him.
"Soo," he yawned. "When does school start here?"
"September sixth."
"Ah."
"Were actually still in school now. Our last day is Wednesday," I informed him. It was a week from today.
"Yeah, I've gotta shadow someone tommorow."
"That's nice." I said. "Your welcome to come with me."
"Thanks,"
I pulled a small book of photos out of fhe box, and flicked through it quickly.
"What are these?"
"It's a long story," he sighed. Each photo was just of the clouds.
"We've got time," I said, placing it onto a shelf.
"It's just like clouds, okay?" He replied, nervously.
"It's wasn't upset, clouds are cool."
He squirmed around nervously for a minute, and then gave up whatever position he couldn't reach. I emptied the last box, and tucked it away.
"Thanks," he said, smiling brightly. "My mom would have flipped shit if she did this all herself."
"Mine would, too. That's what I'm here for."
I sat on the bed next to him, sighing tiredly.
"So, why do you have a book of clouds?" I asked.
"Because I like clouds." He said, bluntly.
"Okay, fine," I chuckled.
There was asked moment of silence before someone spoke again.
"Is it weird I'm nervous to shadow you tomorrow?"
"Why would you be nervous?"
"New people, I guess."
"You will be fine, I promise.
He blinked at the floor. "Okay."
I wondered what he had against people, because generally, (being a human) interacting with another human is part of what people do in life. He had a seemingly bad attitude towards every other person.
"How's it coming along up here?" Liz asked, leaning in the doorway.
"We're done," Luke sighed, laying back on the bed. "And we didn't find my coffee mug."
"Its in the cabinet. You shouldn't be drinking that much caffeine anyway, it's bad for you."
"I'm gonna die anyways so it's fine." He huffed, lifting himself upon his arms.
"Lucas,"
"Mother, its no secret. Let it go, I may as well joke about it."
I was left alone in Lukes room after his mom scurried off.
-
"Lauren, I know everything now."
My mom treated this like some kind of gossip. How much can we find out about this family in one day? Ask her.
I sighed. "Sounds exciting."
"Stop being so lame," she argued. "I can tell you anything about that kid now."
"Do you think I'm only friends with him because I feel bad for him or something?"
"No, it's just you should know what's wrong with him, Lauren."
"Honestly, he is just just a normal goddamned teenager, not a cripple, Mom."
I took my teacup and stomped upstairs, flopping down onto my bed as I got there. Through the window, I saw Lukes bedroom light go on, and some part of me felt better.