seven

Forewarning: find a box if tissues okay the next three chapters (four counting epilogue) are just emotional
I cried so hard while writing this
This is also ridiculously dramatic and eh!!
-;

"What then hell are these?"
Luke's face fell as someone stole a crutch out from under his feet at the lunch table.
"They aren't any of your business, thanks," I smiled, taking it back from the tall kid who stood above me.
"Now your defending this cripple kid?"
Luke put his water bottle down, resting his cheek on his hand. He looked down at his food, and pushed it away.
"Says you, no wonder you have no friends."
"I definitely have more than you, this one is half the mass of a normal human."
"Listen, I don't wanna hear your bullshit, so please back off."
I sat back down, taking a sip of my water as I caught Luke slide his head onto the table.
"Luke, don't listen to him,"
"I'm not," he sighed, flashing me a strange looking smile and crushing a tomato with his fingers.
"Don't give me that crap, let's talk about this,"
He sighed. "Listen, that happens all the time. I'm just already in a crappy mood and that didn't help."
"Ookay," I said, backing off. "Want some chips?"
"Nah."
"You didn't eat a thing."
"I just don't feel all that great. Everything is fine, Laur, relax."
The lunch bell rang. I collected Luke's books to walk him to class when he stopped dead in his tracks.
"You okay?"
"I don't know."
"What do you mean I don't know?"
"I don't know,"
"Your scaring me," I warned.
"Its- I'm- I'm - I'm f-fine,"
"No you aren't, Hemmings," I said, putting the books down in my locker.
"I-I p-promise you,"
"Luke, what's wrong? Do you want to go to the nurse?"
He shook his head and leaned against the wall behind him.
"Go to class, I'll meet you there in ten," he mumbled, speeding on his crutches down the hall. So, I went into class.
After ten minutes, he was still gone, so I signed out and went to find him.
"Luke! Wha-"
He pulled me into the bathroom and locked the door. It was dark because he didn't turn the lights on, making it hard to find him.
"I don't know what's happening," he mumbled. I located him as my eyes adjusted. "I feel really..."
His voice slowly dissapated, and he went silent. I flicked the light on
"Luke..?"
It all happened so fast. His whole body collapsed, making me scream, and before I could even see what was happening I ran straight to the nurse.
After incoherently screaming something to ber, she followed me down to the bathroom, and made me stay outside. In minutes, there was an order for kids to stay in the classrooms, and paramedics trying to make it to us quietly.
"Is he okay?" I asked, grabbing someone's arm. No one bothered to answer.
I followed the stretcher out, because I still couldn't see anything.
"Lauren,"
I tried to claw at the EMT for not telling me anything when someone called ny name again.
"Lauren, honey,"
I shook my head, at a loss of words as Liz held me back from killing anyone. She waited untill they pulled away to let me go.
"Why am I not allowed to see him?" I cried. "Why is none telling me anything?"
"Lauren, let's get in the car and I'll explain everything, just take a deep breath."
I followed her to the car, and buckled in, waiting for some answers.
"If you didn't get there the second you did he would be dead." She nodded.
"What? What the hell was that?"
"That was only a seizure, lucky for you you did the right thing."
"Only a goddamn seizure?"
"Lauren,"
"This isn't good, I should have taken him to the nurse eariler,"
"Lauren, you did the right thing," she spoke over me. "If you got there any later he could have-"
"If don't wanna hear it," I cried, putting my head in my hands. "What did they do to him?"
"They had to put in a breathing tube, and then drug him up, he is going to be okay," she said.
"I'm so scared,"
"Were gonna go see him right now, okay?"
I nodded, leaning back in my chair.
-
"I'm scared," I whispered, standing behind the curtain in Lukes room. She pushed me forward, and I opened the curtain. The room was dead silent, only a heart monitor making noise. It was already ten at night.
I could barely see him under all the tubes, so I just stood there.
"Mrs. Hemmings, can we speak with you?"
Someone asked. She told me to stay with Luke as she was pulled aside. I listened to the convorsation.
"As you know, Luke's body is very, very weak already, and easily broken or infected, correct? We don't think he will be able to pull through this."
"What?" She asked.
"If he makes it untill three in the morning, we should be good, but untill then, this might be your last chance with him. This is going to be very painfull, because we can't give him anymore painkillers. There are a few options, though."
"Like..?"
"We can keep life support on, and try to pull him through,"
"Okay,"
"We can take the tubes off and let him, you know,"
"Mhm."
"Or, we can give him a few minutes awake, and then give him a sedative and just let him fall asleep and hope for the best,"
"We can't make any pain go away without taking him off life support, though?"
"We can only try mild sedatives but they could still be too strong.
I pulled he curtain open, making them both jump.
"You can't let him die," I begged. "Please don't let him go,"
"Shh, Lauren, don't-"
"Please,"
She pushed me back inside, where I collapsed on the floor next to his bed.
"Laur," Luke's hand was pushed off the side of the bed, reaching for mine, and starling me.
"Luke, why are you awake?" I asked, putting his hand back. "Rest, please don't move, go back to sleep or something,"
"Please," he said, more breathy then audible. He slid his hand back out slowly.
"You aren't supposed to be awake, Luke, you need to sleep,"
"Please," he whimpered. "Please,"
"Please what? What's wrong?"
"Hurts,"
"It hurts?"
He nodded, wiggling his fingers. I took his hand, rubbing it softly between my own.
His face was smushed on its side, making a tear roll off his nose.
"You're okay," I said. "You can do this,"
He shook his head slowly. "No,"
"Yes, you have to,"
"No," he breathed.
"Yes,"
I played with his fingers softly for a while, running my fingers along the length of his.
"Don't," he whispered, almost too quiet for me to catch.
"Don't what?"
"Leave."
"I'm not. I'll be right here. You're gonna be okay, Luke,"
He seemed to relax, his eyes lazily watching my hands. Every few minutes he would try and move but I made him stay.
"Lauren, don't move him," Liz warned, wiping her eyes.
"He is awake," I cried."He kept asking to hold my hand, he said it hurt, and that he didn't want me to leave, and then got even more tired and stopped talking, what is happening-"
"He didn't,"
"Yes he did,"
"Lauren, he isn't conscious, your hearing things, maybe you need to go home,"
"No,"
"Yes, please go get some rest,"
"I can't, Liz please, let me stay,"
"Fine. I can't stay in here, it's too depressing, so I'm going to get some coffee. Do you want anything?"
"Uh-uh," I sniffled. She frowned, patting my shoulder before running off.
"L-Laur," he slurred.
"Luke, please sleep,"
He shook his head, squeezing my hand.
"Why not?"
"Hurts,"
"I know, just keep breathing,"
He shook his head.
"Too tired,"
"Luke," I sighed, getting in my knees next to the bed. "You will be okay. Please just try for me." I whispered.
He tucked his face in and whimpered a little.
"Hurts,"
"Luke, relax, you're doing so well,"
"Hurts," he whimpered. "Come up,"
"Where?"
"Come sit, please,"
I moved his arm slowly, and slid under him over on the bed. He moved his head onto my lap, clutching my hand before falling asleep.