eight

Fuck.

I woke up on a chair, starring at a few people around Luke's bed. I looked at the time. Four AM.
"Laur?"
"No, Luke, there is no Laur," a nurse said.
"Where is-"
"There is no Laur."
I heard his voice cracking into little, tired whimpers. Someone shushed him.
"There is a Laur, thank you," I smiled, standing up. I was still in yesterday's clothes. "Where is Liz?"
"We made her go home after three, she was very tired. Luke seemed to do very nicely with you here," another nurse answered.
"How is he?" I asked, leaning on the railings over his bed, where he already had been knocked out.
"Very well, surprisingly, he is still in a lot of pain but he can form sentences now, at least. You can have him back now," he smiled.
I thanked him, and pulled my chair next to Luke's bed.
"You did it, Luke, three am is gone,"
"C'mere," he mumbled.
I moved closer, letting him pull my hand closer to him under the sheets.
"Are you gonna go to school today?" He asked.
"Probably not," I said, pushing his hair out of his eyes. "Unless you don't want me here."
"Okay." He yawned.
I watched the TV for a while, not paying close attention to much. His mom came back a few minutes later to sit with us, and wait for any information.
"Mrs. Hemmings?"
Liz and I looked up, Luke still asleep, as a doctor came in.
"We've re-scheduled Luke's surgery. It's urgent, the scans came back."
I had no idea what the hell they were talking about, but I listened.
"We need this done as soon as possible. They made room in pre-op right now, we don't have much time, maybe an hour."
She nodded. "Lauren, honey, can you wake him up for me?"
I squeezed Luke's hand, shaking it a little bit untill he woke up.
"What?"
"Today's the day," she sniffled.
"For what?"
"They are gonna try and f-"
"Just shut up," he said, sliding back under the sheets and letting my hand go.
-
While under heavy drugs, Luke attempted to tell me something. I pushed it off, untill he got super stressed about it.
"Laur, please listen to me,"
"What bub?" I asked, playing with his hair.
"You gotta go home and look under my bed, there's a book that you've gotta bring back here and, and, just go get it."
"Okay, okay, after you've gone in,"
"No, go now, right now," he slurred.
"Fine, jesus Luke,"
I stood up and grabbed my stuff, turning back to him before I left.
"You will do amazing, Luke. Don't worry about anything. I'll be here waiting for you when your all done."
His blank expression turned sad. His lips trembled.
"Don't cry," I frowned. "You'll be okay,"
He shook his head and put his arms out like a child. I softly accepted his hug.
"You are going to be okay, Your are strong,"
Luke clung to my sweater, closing his eyes that were hidden in my shoulder.
"I'm gonna miss you, and I'm sorry no one told you about this," he coughed. "And I love you so much and your my best friend and I'm so scared and I'm not ready and-"
"Shh, you need energy, so save it all up. I'll be back as soon as I can be, okay?"
He nodded, holding onto my hand as far as he could before I had to let go. I didn't understand what surgery was going on or what it made him so damn emotional. I hoped it was just the drugs.