Chapter 3

As it turns out, it's not very hard to follow someone, even a trained vigilante, when you can walk through walls, disappear, and fly.

Was doing so a bad idea? Oh sure, 100%. Was Danny going to think for long enough to weigh the pros and cons? Not likely.

It's not like he could go and get himself much more dead than he already was.

The ghostly teen tailed Nightwing non-stop for a good half hour before the vigilante called it quits for the night.

With that stamina, he had to be some kind of freak of nature.

Ironic.

Floating invisibly after the man, Danny compiled a mental checklist of things he needed to do once he reached the bats' and birds' secret lair:

1. Get a snack. Snacks make thinking easier.

2. Figure out a way to push responsibilities onto someone more qualified. Batman probably dealt with shady business deals all of the time, what was one more?

3. Find something fun to do. His afterlife had become far more boring with no rogues to fight.

When it came to making plans, Danny generally went with the, 'fuck around, find out' method.

In this case, he sure did find out.

It soon became evident that Nightwing's destination was the giant fucking mansion that sat on what looked like a small island just outside of gotham.

This caused Danny to momentarily rethink his course of action. He and rich people didn't tend to mix well.

It got even weirder. As it turned out, there was a cave hidden behind a waterfall on the back side of the island.

Marvelling at the vast cavern, Danny's focus was immediately pulled to the literal dinosaur that sat like a trophy upon on of the many metal platforms in the vast space.

Don't touch it don't touch it don't touch it

He touched it.

Beneath the high, (stalagmite? Stalagtite? Who knows.)-ridden ceiling, Danny zipped from one wondrous sight to the next, taking it all in like an excited kid.

The halfa jumped as a voice came from somewhere below him. He had clearly let his guard down, since he hadn't heard anyone enter besides himself and Nightwing, who sat at a gigantic computer that had been built into the cave wall.

Neat. Tucker would be foaming at the mouth.

"How did things go tonight? Any news on those robberies?"

Danny had to do a quick double take, because there's no way Bruce fucking Wayne is standing in the batcave.

Maybe Wes' theories about batman having a sugar daddy weren't too far off.

There goes $10.

"Are you sure that's what you really want to talk about right now? Tim hasn't spoken to anyone since he got back from patrol. Has he told you what happened yet?"

Bruce sighed, leaning to rest against the back of the computer chair.

"He hasn't said a word. Won't even leave his room. All I got from Jason was that apparently Tim... killed a civilian."

"Are we sure about that? Timmy isn't the type to allow civilian casualties under any circumstances."

Nightwing's comment led Danny to realize that the 'Tim' they kept mentioning was most likely Red Robin.