2 - HIDDEN MISSION

ASTRID'S POV:

"Astrid." The sound of my stepmother's voice grated on my nerves as I continued to pound my beaten up punching bag, trying to drown out her relentless calls. "ASS-TRID, ANSWER ME WHEN I CALL YOU DAMMIT!" Her relentless shouting pierced through the air, making it nearly impossible to focus on my training.

"UGH!" I let out a frustrated sigh and ripped off my boxing gloves, muttering a curse under my breath. If this woman doesn't leave me the fuck alone I swear to god I'll kill her.

Trudging down the hallway, I found her standing outside my father's conference room, her blonde locks hastily tied up in a bun with an easily readable smirk forming on her face. "I'm busy. What do you want from me Maurice?" I retorted, my tone filled with pure hatred.

"Maurice? You little brat!" Her hand reached out towards my hair, but before she could grasp it, my father's voice rang out, cutting through the tension like a knife. "Astrid, come in."

I gave my stepmother a defiant smirk and swept past her, entering the conference room. "Mi amor... you are dismissed," my father said, dismissing her with a wave of his hand.

Good riddance.

Relief washed over me as she stomped off, to the spa room I assume. I turned to my father, frustration boiling inside me. "Honestly Papi, I don't understand why you married that ogre. Sooner or later, she's going to catch these fucking hands," I grumbled, crossing my arms.

My father chuckled while moving the rest of his files into a safe under his desk. "Is that so?" he mused. I folded my arms, a scowl on my face. "She's not even my real mother-" My father's sharp intake of breath halted my words.

"ASTRID, don't you dare go there," he warned sternly, sucking in a breath. "I better not hear those words from you again ever you little fuck. EVER!" His fist slammed down on the table, the seriousness in his voice sending a shiver down my spine. "...Besides we have more pressing matters to discuss," he continued, motioning for me to take a seat across from him while even more questions raced across my mind.

"¿Paso algo?" (Did something happen?) I asked, a sense of unease creeping over me.

He paused, his expression laced with something I've never seen on him before. "I... have a top-secret S-class mission for you."

His words hung heavy in the air, and I felt a knot form in my stomach. "Father..." I began, but he silenced me with a gesture. "Sit down."

I hesitated, but not even the urgency in his voice could compel me to obey, not for something like this. "An S-class mission? That's great, right? This is what I've been training for my whole life," I exclaimed, only to be stopped short by his next words. "You are getting married."

"¿I- QUÉ?"
(I- what?)

My heart pounded in my chest as I struggled to process the news. Sweat coated my palms, and I felt a wave of panic wash over me.

"Papi!" I choked back tears, my voice trembling. "How could you..." I clenched my fists, my anger rising. "So this was your plan all along, to pawn me off like I'm a part of some damn auction!" I spat out onto his face. "I don't know if you've realized it yet, but I'm still your goddamn daughter," I reminded him, my voice hurt.

His gaze faltered.

"We, the Enricos, are one of the most powerful gangs in all of España. There is only one group in our way." I finished his sentence with an eye roll.

"The Baristas."

"Sí...princesa," my father continued, his fingers fidgeting while he stroked his beard. "Your task is to seduce and marry the Mafia until he trusts you completely." I kept my arms crossed.