249 | Bruised

XANDER CLEANS HIS GLASSES with his shirt before putting it back on. He looked around the room to search for his phone, but then he suddenly heard shouting outside their dorm. He looks out from the window of his room and finds gaffers running away from the trap he created. The moment he saw the device doing its purpose, Xander couldn't help but smile proudly.

     "Looks like it's working well," Xander says.

     "Alexander! Have you already found your phone?" Keigo asks, opening the door to check on his roommate.

     "Sorry..." Xander answers, running to his bed to inspect it. After finding his phone under his pillow, the two serfs went out and joined the others at the cafeteria to eat dinner.

     Everyone was in a good mood, especially since their dorm was starting to look better than ever before. Xander's invention also helped a lot because ever since the traps were set up, the number of intruders declined. But what really hit the nail was the 4th year serf who was guarding outside, holding a baseball bat like he was ready for a zombie apocalypse.

     "My god, this is painfully boring," Vesper complains, yawning loudly before resting the bat on his shoulder like a gangster. "Where the heck are the gaffers? Why aren't they coming anymore?"

     "Looks like our decision to make you a guard is extremely effective," a voice suddenly says, making Vesper turn around to check who it is. When he saw that it was Max, he sighed and looked away.

     Max chuckled at the expected reaction and walked towards him. Vesper was sitting on the steps, so Max joined him and sat beside him before handing him a bottle of water and a plate filled with bland food. "Dinner," Max says before snatching the baseball bat from him. "And don't start telling me that I shouldn't have done such a thing because it's out of character. If you say shit like that again, I'm gonna punch you for real."

     Vesper was surprised, but he chuckled and took the plate from Max's hand with no question. Without any hesitation, he started eating.

     Max doesn't say anything and just looks from afar, staring at the garden just meters away from them. Vesper didn't say anything either, and he honestly didn't expect Max to even speak to him after what he said about his mother. But after swallowing the food down, he turned to look at Max and decided to tell him, "You're really different from how I thought you'd be."

     "You keep saying that, but I don't exactly understand what you mean."

     Vesper takes a deep breath, and then he looks away from Max as he explains, "I came from the previous generation of Crème de la Crème, a generation where you, Viktor, and the other kids weren't part of yet. My family just started getting recognized after my father opened up an IT company. We were considered new money, so you can only imagine how surprised we were when we received the letter that I was Crème de la Crème's Rank 12."

     "I bet you guys celebrated."

     "Oh, we did. My father boasted about it so much I even got interviewed in the news," Vespers explains with a chuckle. "The members of Crème de la Crème now are very secretive, and I bet you don't even know most of them anymore. But back then, especially when I was a kid, we were fuckin' A-list celebrities. We all attended parties together, had brunch, watched baseball games, and went to charities like we were the princes and princesses of England. It was so absurd that we even had the paparazzi in our tails."

     "W-Wait, seriously? You guys did all that?" Max asks in shock because he barely knows the members of Crème de la Crème, so he can't imagine doing all these things with everyone.