Prologue

Prologue

Eight Years Earlier

Britney: Hey lover, do you or Lance have any free time today to go to the photo shoot with Ashley? She's kinda freaking out over the whole thing, and I have to be on set today.

Justin: Lance refuses to speak to me about anything to do with Ashley; he's still mad about the whole thing. I'm in the studio for a bit this morning. Could I meet her there?

Britney: Yeah, I can have Carter drop her off after he takes me in. Sorry to be a pain!

Justin: Never. I just wish I could be there for her the whole time, but tell her I'll be there and just to have some fun with it. Will I see you later tonight?

Britney: Let's do dinner. Love you!

Justin: Love you too!

***

Ashley was terrified and she didn't understand why Britney had sent her on her own. Of course, she'd seen and sat in on a million photo shoots for Britney, even some for the guys, but she never had to be photographed. And alone. She was never alone; she always had security or Mackenzie or Britney, or someone with her. Carter, Britney's bodyguard, pulled up to the warehouse-looking building and looked back at her.

"I'd go in with you, but I didn't like the looks of those crowds when we dropped Britney off on set. Someone leaked the location, and I'm worried."

Ashley gave him her best smile as she reached for the door handle, "Don't worry, I'll be fine."

"You'd better work on your smile if that's the best you've got," he teased.

"Thanks, Carter," she groaned as she pulled herself from the backseat. Everyone was so optimistic about this whole thing. Recording her album had been fun. She loved the songs they'd found, especially the ones Justin had written for her. But pictures? She had a feeling she was going to start feeling like the Barbie Lance kept comparing her to.

She pushed through the doors; the area was mostly open with several backdrop options spread throughout the room. She was greeted by a woman with a clipboard, "Are you Ashley Evans? Johnny Wright sent you over?"

"You are an angel! A vision!" A man with a large camera caught sight of her and made his way over. "You look like your sister. You have her eyes."

Ashley felt her cheeks warm, and he held the camera up, snapping a picture of her right then. Looking at the screen on the back of his camera, he smiled, "Yes, you and I will have some fun together. You can call me Henry. Go get into your first outfit and visit hair and make-up, then we'll get started. I promise you, it will be fun."

Ashley smiled, feeling reassured by this man for some reason. His assistant led her back to the changing room where several outfits were laid out for her. She put on the first one and reported to hair and makeup.

The first several outfits were fun; they were things she'd wear any day and she didn't think much about them. Henry was good at putting her at ease, and she forgot about her fears and the reason for these pictures. Her favorite set was when they put her in a cool blue convertible that they'd brought in just for these pictures. She loved the car, despite not having her license yet. When would she have time to get a driver's license?

The last outfit was a little more grown up, or maybe just not so high school. It was a flowy dress that was beautiful and ethereal. Despite its beauty, she didn't feel quite so at home in it as she had all the other clothes.