Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Elle: I saw the relationship timeline People has come out with for yours and Justin's secret relationship. I'm pretty much convinced. [Winking face]

Ashley: I'm not sure of anything anymore.

Elle: All kidding aside? Are we finally being serious about this?

Ashley: Yes, be serious about this for a minute. But just a minute.

Elle: Ashley, I've been trying to get a read on your feelings for him for years.

Ashley: He's been my best friend for years, that's all. But...I think something is different. I just don't know if it's different enough to change the status quo.

Elle: As your actual best friend, I can tell you that he's been more than your best friend for a while. The rest of us have just been waiting to see if the two of you would figure it out. Mack and I have a bet going.

Ashley: Minute's over.

Elle: I love you. Let me know if you need to talk.

***

Ashley arrived at the recording studio the next morning to find Logan in the control booth with another man, one she vaguely remembered working with on her first day in the studio. Logan greeted her with a warm smile, especially when she held out an assortment of chocolate candy bars to him.

"You didn't want to relive the semi-sweet chocolate chips again? We still have half a bag left," he asked with a laugh as she tossed all the candy on the couch.

"I've decided they may be fine for cookies, but definitely not for snacking on when that chocolate craving hits." She grinned back at him, "If we're going to be spending more time working together, you're going to need to maintain this chocolate supply."

He met her gaze, "If that's what it takes to work with you, I'll start a stockpile."

A gruff laugh behind them broke into their conversation and Logan motioned to the other man, "This is Greg, we've been working together on projects for the last couple years."

The other man took his time turning to look at her, and Ashley took in his appearance, almost the complete opposite of Logan's clean cut look. Greg also looked significantly older than Logan, his brown hair, threaded with silver, was worn long and in a pony-tail down his back. His clothes were layered and not neat and buttoned up like Logan's tended to be.

The striking differences were magnified by his gravely voice when he did finally turn to look at her, "We met last week, before you had to go ruin the song we'd written with your duet."

"Oh, yeah," Ashley said, pulling a face behind his back at Logan. "Good to meet you again."

"Yeah, we'll see," he grumbled, handing her a music score for a song called, Last to Know. "Do you think you can pull off a ballad on your own?"

She saw Logan was trying not to laugh at Greg's pointed words, she remembered him saying that they were opposites in every way and that seemed like it was probably the truth. Ashley decided to see if she could win him over. Probably. Ashley pulled a chair next to him at the soundboard, "Can you play the music for me? I'll sit here so I can ask you any questions I have before we start recording."

She hadn't been that direct before, and she saw Greg's gray eyes appraise her again. His gaze wasn't approving yet, but he was at least paying attention. Taking in this interaction in herself, Ashley realized she'd been pretty checked out that first day. She hadn't realized it at the time, but actually working in the studio and seeing what went into a song's production had made her realize that she could do more than just come in and put her voice to music. There was a story to be told in each song and she was ready to tell this one if they'd let her.