Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

As she fled, Ashley knew at that moment that her feelings for Justin were deeper than she'd ever let herself believe. She had been lying to herself that there could be someone other than Justin for her. Seeing Nichole kiss him had shot that painful truth right across her heart.

She ran down the long hallway, through the kitchen and towards the bedrooms.

"Wait Ashley!"

She hadn't seen Logan in the hall and he grabbed her arm to pull her to a stop, "What's wrong?" He asked, taking in everything about her.

"You're wrong," she sobbed out.

"Wrong?" He asked in confusion.

She gasped out a breath, the pain in her heart made it hard to push words out, "Jus...Nichole."

Logan swore under his breath and moved his hands from her shoulders to hold both sides of her face, "Are you sure?"

"I saw-"

"Ashley!" Justin's bellow reached them at the same time they heard his running footsteps getting closer.

Trapped between Logan's hands and so close to him, Ashley met his gaze for a long moment, "I'm sorry," she whispered before she grabbed his shirt front in her fists and pressed her lips to his as Justin rounded the corner.

"Ashley," Justin breathed out as he stumbled to a stop.

She broke off the kiss with a stifled sob, glancing at Justin before she turned and ran again.

***

Justin groaned with his hands behind his head, "Ashley!"

He glanced at Logan who gestured with his head in the direction she had disappeared, "Go after her."

Justin still hesitated, "What about you?"

Logan's face was resigned, "I'm Clark Kent, you've always been her Superman."

Justin took off down the hall again, pushing open the door to Ashley's room. It was empty. Chest heaving, he continued down the corridor until he reached the dance studio at the end. The door was half open, but the room was dark, "Ashley?" He called into the room and he heard her sniffling.

He turned on one set of lights, searching the room. She was sitting in the far corner, back pressed up against the wall and her knees hugged to her. He approached slowly, knowing they were both hurt and confused. He squatted down in front of her, she didn't look up.

Justin thought for a long moment, considering his words. He wanted to find a way to tell her everything that had been building in his head and his heart; especially since that night when she'd wormed her way in past his armor.

With a quick breath, he began softly, "When I picked you up from the airport I imagined you running down the stairs and jumping into my arms."

There was a silence between them for a moment then she finally spoke, "I pretended our night in Memphis was a date," she said, her voice muffled by her arms.

Justin felt a small sense of relief at her words. He shifted so he was sitting next to her, leaning into her gently and whispering, "That was a date, Ashley-girl."

"What about pizza?"

"That was a date too; at least that's what I was pretending in my mind."

She took a deep breath and turned her head so she was looking at him, "Were you going to tell me?"

Justin blew out his breath, every emotion in him was threatening to boil over. Since his realization of how much she meant to him, being this close to her was sending all his nerves into overdrive. He just didn't want to mess things up before they even had a chance.