Chapter Ten

Chapter 10

Justin: I was worried about her when I saw her last week, but I wanted to let you know that she's smiling again. She's writing lyrics and she played her violin. She misses you.

Britney: Thanks for the pictures, I miss her too but I think it's better for her this way.

Justin: Is it better for you?

Britney: Will you send me what she's written? She always was the writer.

***

Lynn met them at the movie's production studios and introduced Ashley to the sound engineer who'd be recording her audition along with members of the casting department and even one of the co-producers. Since everyone knew about Justin's role in the project, they were all falling all over themselves a bit to meet and talk to him. Lynn rolled her eyes at Ashley behind his back.

The casting director briefly explained the role to Ashley and the plot of the movie, then spent fifteen minutes gushing over the work Justin had done thus far on the project. The sound engineer finally stepped in, reminding the casting director that they needed to get the audition recorded and motioned for Ashley to head into the sound booth.

"Thanks for stealing the show," Ashley teased Justin as she leaned in to hand him her purse and phone.

She recorded several short clips as 'Poppy' to the best of her ability, grinning at the thought of herself as a small troll doll like the one she'd had as a kid.

The producer sounded like they were wrapping things up when Justin appeared in the window in front of her, talking for a moment with the others before he appeared in the sound booth with her and placed sheet music on the stand in front of her. "They're going to let you record some of this song."

She read the title, Can't Stop the Feeling, and recognized it as the title of the song he'd played for her in the car, "You're gonna share your song with me, JT?"

"I can share the spotlight once in a while," he said with a challenging grin. He sang the few lines of melody that he wanted her to sing, and gave her some tips on the tricky sound he'd created with his just imagine line. He winked, "Just do your best, it's just something to put in your reel for the producers to see."

She did two takes of the few lines of the song he'd given her, she didn't think they were earth shattering takes, but she didn't think she'd embarrassed herself either. She and Lynn thanked them for their time and then headed back out, she accepted the water bottle Justin handed her as they started down the hall.

"My expectations are not high for that," Ashley teased a little.

Justin shoulder bumped her, "You never know."

"But," Ashley added, "I could see how that would be something fun to get into."

"I'm taking note of that," Lynn put in. "We can get your name out there as someone who'd be interested in doing voice over work." She looked at the time on her phone, "I think you do need to get going though."

"Oh no!" Ashley asked, glancing at the time as well and then holding her hand out to Justin, "Keys please. I've got an appointment I need to get to this evening. I guess you can ride back with your mom."

"A date?" Justin questioned casually, digging in his pockets for the keys.

Her lips twitched in a smile, "an appointment."

"I was going to take you both to dinner," he said as he dropped the keys into her outstretched hand. "I'm flying out again tonight on a red eye so I was going to hang out until I have to be at the airport." He looked at her a little hopefully, "Unless you want a driver?"