01. Paging Hawthorne

"Dr. Hawthorne," Jacksom's voice rang out behind Penelope as she dropped off her kids at the daycare. "I need to speak with you, privately," Jackson said.

Penelope froze, hoping he did not notice the little girl clinging to her leg.

"Dr. Hawthorne," Jackson repeated.

"Just a moment, Dr. Avery," Penelope said.

Penelope quickly says goodbye to her kids making sure to block her daughter's face from Jackson's view.

Unfortunately, she is unsuccessful as her daughter moves and waves to Jackson. "Hi," Alaina said.

"Hi," Jackson said as he stared at the little girl who looked like the perfect mix between him and Penelope. The little girl had his eyes. "Penelope is that..." Jackson paused as his eyes kept shifting over to Alaina who ran off to play with her big brother.

"Is there something you needed me for, um, Dr. Avery?" Penelope stumbled, walking out the daycare door with Jackson following her.

They stop at the nurses' desk so Penelope can pick up some files.

"Is there something you need to tell me, Penelope?" Jackson asked her, crossing his arms and raising his eyebrows.

"What would I need to tell you?" Penelope replied.

Penelope knew she couldn't avoid informing Jackson about their daughter forever, at some point she would have to face him properly and it was better to get it over with now.

"When did you have her? What didn't you tell me?" Jackson asked her.

Not wanting everyone in her business, Penelope grabs Jackson's arm and leads him into an empty room.

"I didn't tell you because you, Stephanie, and April were a mess and I didn't want to be involved in your messy love life," Penelope answered.

"So you kept having my daughter a secret because I was having relationship problems. Be fucking for real, Penelope! You know what I went through with my father. Why would you do this to me? Why would you keep me from being a part of her life?" Jackson asked.

Penelope furrowed her eyebrows.

"Jackson..." She breathed.

"You should have told me," He said.

"I'm sorry," She said.

"I want to meet her. I want to know her, be there for her, Penelope, I want my daughter," He said.

"Okay, we can work something out but please don't tell anyone," She said.

"Why not?" He asked.

"I don't need anyone in my business," She answered.

Meanwhile, in the hallway, Maggie and Meredith are walking with Amelia, and Maggie gets a text message that is going to change Penelope's life even more today.

"I found her," Maggie said as she read the text message from the private investigator sent her about the whereabouts of their baby sister.

"You found who?" Amelia asked.

Meredith looks at Maggie.

"Did the P.I. find her?" Meredith asked.

Maggie nodded.

"I found our baby sister and you won't believe it but she's been here the whole time," Maggie said.

"Here as in this hospital here or the same state?" Amelia asked.

"Same hospital. Her name is Penelope Hawthorne," Maggie said.

"You mean the world-renowned Attending general surgeon who happens to be the head of department for general surgery," Meredith said.

"Yes, her, I can't believe she has been under our noses this whole time," Maggie said.

"What do we do now?" Meredith asked.

"Do you think she knows she's adopted?" Amelia asked.

Maggie stops walking as she spots Jackson and
Penelope walked out of the hospital room together.
Jackson walks their way while Penelope goes the other way. Meredith stops Jackson.

"How do you know Penelope Hawthorne?" Meredith asked him.

"What?" He asked with his brows furrowed.

"We just saw you walk out of a room with Penelope Hawthorne, so how do you know her, Jackson?" Maggie asked.

Jackson rubs the back of his head.

"It's complicated," Jackson answered.

"How complicated?" Amelia asked.

"We have a daughter together," Jackson answered.

Maggie's smile slowly faded.

"You have a kid with our sister!" Maggie exclaimed.

Jackson looks confused before he realizes what Maggie just said.

"Penelope is the one you guys have been looking for," Jackson said.

"Yeah, Penelope Hawthorne is our baby sister and you have a daughter with her that no one knows about because..." Meredith paused.

He opened his mouth and snapped it shut.

"Jackson," Amelia said.

He let out a quiet breath.

"I just found out about her," He said.

Later that day, Penelope runs into Maggie in the laboratory. "Oh I didn't know anyone was in here," Penelope said, ready to exit the room to give Maggie her privacy.

"Oh no, you can come in," Maggie said, excited to finally interact with her baby sister.

"Are you sure?" Penelope asked.

"Yes, I'm sure," Maggie said.

Penelope walks in. She takes a seat across from Maggie and places her files on the table in front of her. Maggie stares at her. Penelope raised an eyebrow at her.

"Are you sure it's okay for me to be in here with you? 'Cause I can just find somewhere else to hide," Penelope said.

Maggie shakes her head.

"No, you're fine," Maggie said.

"Okay," Penelope said.

"Who are you hiding from?" Maggie asked after a brief moment of silence.

"Huh?" Penelope asked.

"You said you were hiding, so who are you hiding from?" Maggie replied.

"Oh, Dr. Avery," Penelope answered.

Maggie knew why Penelope was hiding from Jackson but she was hoping if she asked then maybe she would be open to telling her.

"Why are you hiding from Avery?" Maggie asked.

"It's complicated," Penelope answered.