02. FRIENDS

THE SUMMER when they met has now turned into autumn. the leaves outside the window near y/n and seishirou have fallen, and the days are getting shorter and colder. it's good weather to play sports, but they prefer the tranquillity of the other's presence more.

the staircase has also turned into their hangout spot.

on every lunch break, y/n would find seishirou to either be gaming or napping away. he would then wake him up, hand him his lunch box, courtesy of his grandfather, and waste time watching seishirou game or lend his shoulder to rest his head for a nap.

they've just met a few months ago, yet their dynamic feels familiar to their typical daily lives from before. the new presence they've found is curious, but not unwelcomed.

the idleness was a serenity both seishirou and y/n were becoming fond of. if they were to not meet, would anything change? no, but they also wouldn't be able to experience what they've felt from it. it's strange how a simple change can mean this much.

"nagi-san, get off me, i'm gonna go to the cafeteria to buy melon bread." y/n says as he pushes seishirou's head off of his shoulder. seishirou tries to lean his head again only for it to be pushed back to him.

"stay here, i'll be back." with that, y/n makes his way downstairs.

'i'm not a dog....' seishirou thinks, staring at where he left off as he rubs the spot his hair was leaning on y/n before.

he pulls out his phone and clicks on a random game he and y/n downloaded on his device from when they were browsing the play store together yesterday.

he lets out a yawn and taps mindlessly, too sleepy to even know what he's doing. he just wants y/n to come back so he can sleep again before the blue light emitting from his screen wakes him up.

unbeknownst to him, a person approaching the staircase he's sitting on accidentally bumps into him, making the phone in his grasp fly away.

but without missing a beat, seishirou jumps down and catches it with his foot, then crouches and continues with his gameplay.

"dude! what the hell was that?!" the person gawks and runs down to him. "are you on the soccer team?!"

"oh, you're that rich guy's son. can you give me money? i don't play any sports. i just want to chill and do nothing for the rest of my life." seishirou says as he holds out his hand to him.

"bro, if you work hard, you can become a pro player!"

"work hard? sounds like a hassle, i'll pass."

"that's fine! you don't need to change! say, what about playing soccer with me?" he puts his arm around seishirou and leans in.

"nagi-san?" y/n calls out until he notices another presence among them. "and you're...." he tilts his head, "...mikage-san, right?"

"that's me! and you must be this genius' friend! hey, mind if i steal him?"

"y/n, send help...."

"steal him? why?" y/n tilts his head to the other side.

"'cause i'm gonna win the FIFA world cup with him! oh, wait, since you're his friend, how about joining us?"

"soccer isn't my thing." y/n's usual unexpressive eyes felt a bit dimmer. his grip on the two melon breads mildly tightened.

"that's fine too! you can watch over us! or anything you want!" he grins and brings an arm around y/n to pull him closer to them. "i'm mikage reo! we're in this together!"

"what a pain...." seishirou slumps. he glances at how y/n's eyes widen a little upon hearing reo saying 'together'. "but... 'kay. don't make me work, though."