04. HAZY 'BOUT YOU

"L/N'S STILL not here?"

the class leader shakes her head. "we, including the teacher, still haven't heard from him."

"i see, thank you."

with a sigh, reo slumps as he walks towards where seishirou is waiting for him at the gate. the latter runs up to him expectantly and asks, "any news?"

reo shakes his head the same way y/n's class leader did, sighing and looking out longingly into the sky. he's been doing those a lot these days since y/n suddenly took a leave after they agreed to meet up (only to realize y/n doesn't even know where seishirou lives).

seishirou pouts and slumps back into his seat on the ground. he's just a blob now, no y/n to physically transform him back.

he turns on his phone to check his notifications for the hundredth time today. reo does the same, except it's for the hundredth time this hour.

"my messages are still on sent...." seishirou grumbles, dropping his phone onto the concrete. he doesn't care anymore, what is the point of a phone if y/n, his friend of not even a year, doesn't reply to him?

"same here...." reo lets out another defeated sigh. "let's just go to the building the invitation addressed."

"what if y/n comes back when we're gone...." seishirou droops.

"i'll pay them to have him with us if that happens. let's go." reo drags seishirou to his bike. despite the former being the initiative one, he's also as begrudging to move as the latter is.

instead of the dramatic separation the trio enjoy, which is reo pushing his bike while seishirou and y/n trudge beside him until their epic parting point, reo has started carrying seishirou home using his bicycle.

it's a bit odd considering how seishirou can walk on his own just fine when y/n is around, but who is he to judge when reo can also simply call his driver?

sigh. y/n, where are you?

☆✮☆

"i forgot my phone."

jinpachi twitches his eye. "why are you only mentioning it now? we're literally about to go on stage."

"don't worry, y/n! ego will get you a new one after this!" a woman with matching brown hair and eyes laughs.

"you mean you, the jfa, will, anri-chan."

"can't i just go back and get it?"

"let's settle that later. for now, we'll get this introduction over with." jinpachi's glasses gleam from the lights as he pushes them.

jinpachi walks to the centre of the stage, leaving y/n and anri behind in the left wing. he waits until the last bit of strikers join in before he speaks into his head-worn microphone.

"test, test. one, two." jinpachi tests. "congratulations, you unpolished gems."

students in various uniforms look up at him in bewilderment, be it from his words or his sudden appearance.

"all you under-18 strikers have been chosen solely based on my criteria and biases to be here today. all 300 of you." the lanky man puts one hand on his chest, the other strangely pointing at him. "i am ego jinpachi. my job is to make japan a team capable of winning the world cup."

the flag of japan emerges behind him. "i'll put it in simple terms. japan only requires one thing to become the strongest powerhouse in soccer.

"and that is the creation of a revolutionary striker. from you 300 players gathered here today, i will forge the best striker in the world through a certain project." he's already on a platform, but jinpachi seems to loom over them even more with his statements.