Chapter 1: Med School

" Tomorrow is the first day of running my hospital. Oh, I'm so nervous about this." Amelia said, shivering in fear.
" Don't worry about anything, honey. I'm sure that this hospital will do great, and you'll do what you've always loved to do: helping people." Mom said. At the huge, spacious hospital, Amelia watched as the doctors and nurses ran around, tending to every single person's need. But she quickly noticed that the hospital seemed to be very busy and there weren't enough people to help.
" Hmm, maybe we need to hire some medical students. It would make things a lot easier." Salina, Amelia's nurse, suggested. Dr. Amelia walked outside to 3 kids she saw in a park.
" Hi, guys. Do you want a fast-paced, exciting job that's always changing?" Dr. Amelia asked. " Yeah. That sounds fun. Where do we sign up?" Abby, one of the girls, asked.  " Come by the hospital at 4 pm today. I'll be waiting for you there." Dr. Amelia said. Later that same afternoon, the same three girls were sitting outside and talking to the receptionist about getting into medical school. " If you join this hospital, you'll be able to see what it's like to be a med student who works in a huge clinic," Dr. Amelia said. Later that day, Dr. Amelia waited for her next few patients. " The next patient is Emmi. She has an unusual medical condition that makes her muscles tired quickly." Salina said, watching another nurse brought in a normal-looking patient into the room. " Hi. I'm Dr. Amelia. Can you tell me where you are today and what time it is?" Amelia asked. " I'm in a hospital with doctors and med students and, um, my legs feel weak and I fell on my face when I tried to do gymnastics," Emmi said. " Hmm. I'm going to have one of my students take a look at you, while I grab something from the file cabinet." Dr. Amelia said.  After searching for over an hour, Dr. Amelia finally found the file with Emmi's name on it. " Ok. I found the file. How are her vitals?" Dr. Amelia asked. " Vitals are stale but we're having trouble understanding what's wrong with her, and we're not skilled enough to diagnose her yet. But we're thinking of a diagnosis." Genesis, a 12-year-old medical student, said. " Hmm. I'm not sure if there's a diagnosis for this, but it could be a weakness to extreme injury from an accident." Dr. Amelia said. " So, what is your diagnosis, Dr?" Ariel, Genesis's 11-year-old cousin, asked. " There are fat pads behind her knees, which cause her pain and an uncomfortable feeling in her knees and it'll make it hard for her to do any gymnastics. So we're not gonna be doing gymnastics until she feels less pain." Dr. Amelia says. " OK. It'll be hard to tell her that because she loves gymnastics, and she watches it all the time. Her favorite gymnasts are Gabby Douglas and Simone Biles. " What medicine can cure her? I wanna see my girl be happy again, whatever the cost is." Emmi asked. " There's a possible cure for it. She could rub a cream on her knees and if it works, we could continue the cream or she would have to undergo an expensive surgery." Salina suggested. " That's a deal. How much does the cream cost?" Salina's mom asked. " The cream costs $40. Do you have a credit card?" Dr. Amelia asked. " Yes. How much does the treatment cost? I don't wanna waste all of my money." Salina's mom asked. " The medication costs $30, ma'am. Can you afford it?" Dr. Amelia said, handing her a medium-sized bottle of cream. " Yes. It's in my price range and I'm gonna do whatever it takes to watch my daughter continue her dreams." Salina's mom, said, taking the bottle then she shoved the bottle into her purse, took her daughter by the hand, and walked out of the exam room. " Well, that was a success. I'm very impressed with how well you're handling all of this medical stuff." Dr. Amelia said. " Thanks. I'm so excited about working in the hospital someday." Ariel said. " Me too. Being in the ER sounds like a dream because it's the busiest ward in the entire hospital." Leilani, a 12-year-old first-year med student, said. " A computer is being installed for the desk, along with the files. It'll keep track of our patients and the cases." Salina said. " Medical school is tough, but it's really fun and I wanna become a good doctor someday," Emmi said. " This program is the best way to become a doctor and maybe I can help others while being driven by the determination of what happened all those years ago as a child who dreamed about giving back to my community and helping people reach new heights," Salina said. " Hmm. I guess we'll be amazed when we all graduate with flying or passing colors before summer vacation starts in 10 weeks." Genesis said. " You'll be graduating right before summer starts. But you can always come back and help out if you're bored and can't think of anything else to do." Dr. Banana said. " Thanks, Dr. Banana. I'm gonna have lots of things keeping me busy but I'll make sure to swing by and say hi to the patients. I might bring them gifts for Christmas and other holidays." Ava said.