Chapter 1.

All was well in the Crystal Cliffs. The sun was shining over all the nearby buildings, the birds were singing as they soared through the clear blue sky, their deep green and blue feathers almost glowing in the early morning sunshine. A tallish person wearing a long purple cloak and an oversized purple hat hurried down one of the copper-marked paths, striding to one of the biggest buildings in the kingdom.

The Library.

Topped in size by only the Crystal Cliffs Academy, and the Great Gate, the library was one of the most visited places in Crystal Cliffs. The amount of history and architecture put into the giant structure was almost overwhelming to some. Over five hundred different architects and three thousand builders, including the Meazalen King himself, helped design and create every single detail. From the tiniest bud of carved flowers, to the large spruce doors, the library was perfect in every single way.

The person carefully opened the giant library doors, being extra careful not to let them creak. They calmly stepped inside the structure, closing the doors behind them and hanging up their hat and cloak.

The person flung their long, ginger plait down from past their shoulders, framing their pale but freckled face. Their shining green eyes quickly adjusted to the light as they walked quietly down the library hall, reaching the main desk.

"Hello there." They said quietly to the librarian. You could hear just the faintest accent in their high, sweet voice. "I'd like to borrow a few books, so please, may you help me find the potions section?"

The librarian didn't look up, but you could see his scowl. "No, I can't. I have work to do, so go ask someone else." 

The person tilted their head. "Pardon?" 

The librarian rolled his eyes and started to turn his head to look at the person. "I said, go find someone else to help yo-" He stopped as he saw the person's face, his eyes wide. "Grand-W-wizard Gemini Tay... Oh my, I'm so sorry, o-of course I'll help you."

The person, or rather, Grand-Wizard Gemini Tay, smiled sweetly. "Thank you very much." She whispered. 

The librarian showed Gem to the section of her choosing, apologized again for his rudeness, then bowed and scurried off to his desk. Gem's eyes followed him as he walked back, then, as he sat down, she started scanning through the many, many books. 

It only took a glance at the hundreds of books in this rack alone, that this would take a while, so, for the next few hours, that was what Gem was doing, scanning through books and sorting them in piles if they had what she needed, or not.

Around an hour later, Gem looked at her progress. She had only found three of the ten books she was looking for, and even then she was only a quarter way through the same shelf she had started in. Gem sighed. This really was going to take awhile.

               ____________________________________

Around noon, Gem had collected and borrowed all ten books she needed, so she put on her cloak and hat, carefully balanced the books, and set off to her home. 

It wasn't a very long walk to Gem's home. Wizards don't like long walks, Gem would always say. Truth be told, it was most likely because Gem herself would rather be reading, or practicing a new spell or potion. Though really it was because Gem didn't have the best stamina. Especially not for running or walking. Flight is easier, She would say sweetly, flexing her aching muscles from after the last long walk she was forced to endure. 

A few minutes later, Gem had made it to her home. It was a small and humble cottage for the ruler of the Crystal Cliffs and the Great Wizard of the 12 Empires, but Gem liked keeping things simple. 

Sitting atop a large cliff, made of calcite and spruce for the walls, and musical amethyst for the roof, Gem's cottage was definitely small and simple, but it reflected Gem as a person. Pretty but magical, musical but quiet. You could definitely tell Gem had excellent tastes.

Gem stumbled into her cottage, cradling the books with utmost care. She placed them into a neat pile and put her hat and cloak on their marked hooks. After that, Gem lit the small fireplace, took off her shoes and shut all the blinds and doors, then turned on a small reading light and cut up some snacks in the kitchen. She grabbed the first book in her neat pile, put down the snacks and suck into her soft, comfy chair, placed right next to the warm fireplace.

Gem started reading, curling deeper into her chair. She was so involved in the book she didn't even realise that the owls had started screeching outside her window as the moon rose into the sky.

All was peaceful in the Crystal Cliffs... 

For now.