Chapter 11

Chaeyoung

THE NEXT MORNING, I rolled over in bed — hoping like hell that last night's kiss between me and Jennie was just a wet dream. A very vivid and repeat - worthy wet dream that I wished could've lasted a bit longer and gone a bit further.

I stood up and walked to the bathroom, gasping when I saw my reflection. There was a huge bite mark on my neck, and my lips were still swollen from how thoroughly she'd kissed me. My thigh even had a print from where it'd been pressed against her gearshift.

So that shit actually happened?

I stepped into my shower and stood under the streams, shutting my eyes as the water fell over me. I wasn't sure what I was going to say to her the next time we were alone, but I knew that couldn't happen again.

Even if it was the best kiss I'd ever had in my life. Even though I was sure I would be thinking about it for the rest of the day.

The rest of the year...

I waited until my skin was wrinkled and red, and then I quickly dressed in a teal shirt and jeans. Opening my cosmetics drawer, I pulled out my concealer pen and rubbed it against my neck until all remnants of Jennie's kiss were gone.

I stuffed my pencils and brushes into my bag and headed into the kitchen.

"Good morning," Jennie said, looking up at me from the bar.

"Hi..." I stared into her brown eyes. "Don't you have Econ right now?"

"I told you I'm excused from that class since I'm doing the report on The Silk Stem. Speaking of which, did you start on those questions I sent you about the romance store?"

I nodded. "I'll have them back to you tonight."

"Okay."

"Okay..." I moved past her and grabbed a bagel off the counter. I headed toward the door, but I couldn't help but turn around again. "Can we talk about last night?"

"What about it?"

"Well, for starters, I think we took things too far."

"It was just a kiss, Chaeyoung." She looked me up and down. "A very good kiss...But nothing else happened."

"Well, I'd like you to know that nothing else will ever happen," I said. "You know I would never willingly kiss you — no matter how well you've been pretending to be my friend lately."

"I would've thought that before last night." She smiled.

"It still stands true today, Jennie. I was clearly drunk."

"You weren't that drunk." The way she was looking at me was making me wet.

"Yes, well...I didn't want to tell you this, but while we were kissing I was thinking about Wonwoo. You know, the guy I'm sharing a seat with for the senior lodge trip. I was picturing him instead of you."

"You said my name."

"By default."

"You said it twice." She looked upset, but her expression slowly softened. "You're overthinking the kiss, though."

"So, it didn't mean anything?"

"It meant that I can no longer assume that you're a terrible kisser." She tapped her fingers against the counter and changed the subject. "What else did you purposely lie about in some of your letters?"

"What?" My face paled. I didn't remember mentioning that to her at all, and I'd sworn long ago that I would never bring it up.

"Last night, you told me that certain incidents you wrote about weren't true," She said, standing to her feet. "I wanted to wait for complete clarification, though. So, what else did you lie about?"