Chapter 54 - The Monk by the Sea

Chapter 54 – The Monk by the Sea

When I wake up in the next painting, I'm standing on a sand dune looking out at a sea

When I wake up in the next painting, I'm standing on a sand dune looking out at a sea. It's dusk, and there's barely any light left.

There's barely anything anywhere.

All I hear is the sound of the ocean breaking on the dune I'm standing on.

No birds. No animals. No boats. No humans. No nothing.

The silence makes the sound of the waves deafening.

So, I stand here.

It's a stark contrast to the last painting where I was surrounded by people, feeling lively and happy.

I realize I've been talking a lot in the last few paintings. I wonder if it means anything in particular, or if it's for a specific reason.

I'm sure part of it is for me to learn my lesson, but I'm not quite sure what that lesson is just yet.

I just know that now, being alone like this makes me miss the nymphs. I'm probably never going to see them again. And even if everything is temporary as they said, I wish it wouldn't be.

I wish I wouldn't have to start over again all the time.

I wish I wasn't standing on a dune, in the falling darkness, feeling lonelier than I've ever been.

I am undeniably alone at the moment.

And as the light dims more and more, I feel panic settling in my chest.

It's getting too dark. Too empty.

I'm scared. It's terror I feel. I feel nothing, hear nothing around me, but I'm still in a paralyzing state of fright.

Because it feels like there's nothing, but it also feels like there's something.

I don't know what exactly, but there is. Something is there, and it fills me with dread.

Is it just the darkness that scares me? Maybe.

I kind of jump on the spot, thinking I felt something brush against my foot, and the sound of my foot in the sand, and the water splashing against it makes me scream out in horror.

The sound echoes into the nothingness, making me even more scared.

I've rarely felt this kind of dread. It's poisoning every nerves in my body.

I want to run away, but I also can't move because I have no idea where running would lead me.

This is really a messed-up form of torture.

I'm shaking with the fear.

I'm cold and scared and starving, and, slightly hyperventilating.

I know there's nothing. But I don't really know either, and it's probably in my head again, but I feel my feet sinking in the sand, and like something is trying to grab it.

I feel all of my blood drain from my extremities and yell out again, completely freaking out.

The drop in pressure from my fear makes me pass out.

I happily welcome it.