Prologue

Not Edited

Fire.

There was one right in front of me, and with every second that went by, my hopes burned along with it. I could feel its heat emanating, its brilliant flames flickering frantically. Despite this, if not for the obnoxious yellow tape with 'Caution' printed all over it, I would have charged straight into the wreck of what had once been the car, looking for her. I needed to find her to make sure she was okay, or else I'd never forgive myself.

Yet here I stood, useless, watching the blazing fire voraciously twist and turn.

Where are you? my mind screamed, Where are you?

Shivering, I huddled closer to the fire, but of course, it didn't warm me because I was not cold.

I was shivering from fear.

Fear for her. Fear that I would never see her again, and honestly, that didn't just scare me; it petrified me. Internally, I wrestled to push all these thoughts to the back of my mind; I couldn't think like that, or I'd lose all hope. And right then, hope was all I had left; it was the only thing I was holding on to.

A hand rested on my shoulder, making me jump a little. Intense, chocolate brown eyes met mine, and for just a millisecond, I forgot about her. But within the second I remember and I immediately felt guilty for ever letting her leave my mind.

"They've found her." His voice snapped me back to reality. "She's going to be okay."

The sound of ambulance sirens filled my ears, wailing, but right then it was the best thing I had ever heard. Soon enough the stretchers came into view, lifting their occupants into a white van, but all I really felt was an overwhelming sense of relief because she was alive. For the first time since this nightmare started, I consciously let myself breathe.

"Tiffany?" he called, his voice soft and gentle. "Are you alright?"

I looked up once more to find his gaze. Unsettling eyes looked back at me, breaking every ounce of control I previously possessed. Inside my heart feels like it's about to break into a million pieces, pieces that I would never be able to pick up alone. Blood rushing through my ears but I force myself to look at him. I force myself to answer.

"No," I replied. My voice cracked and eyes brimmed over with treacherous tears."No, I'm not."

And then I finally let myself break.

Tired, I allowed myself to sink into his arms. I even let him hold me, as he told me she was okay over and over again because I needed to believe that. But what surprised me was, I let myself cry as he held me in his arms. As my tears dampened his shirt, drowning my sorrows, my worries and my consciousness, I had only one thought.

She's going to be okay.

Hi, everyone! I was able to post the prologue finally. I hope you all like it because I certainly do. I hope now you are intrigued and wondering what is going on and who are the mystery characters. Well, read on to find out. Thanks for checking this out, and don't forget to vote and comment if you liked it.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

AutumnRockchic